Part 20: Remnants

(Music above is nice. You can listen if you like. ;v; It has the FEELS.)

(Lol, take that! I named all the chapters! Wahoo! Also DANG! 20 CHAPTERS?!?!... DEFINITELY not a short story anymore. 🤣)

(Fun fact: Kim wasn't actually supposed to stick around this long! I had originally planned for her to leave somewhere around chapter 3 or 4, but then at the last moment pulled her back in when I realized Y/n needed an emotional support human. And then she fell in love with Steve... I didn't even do that! She just saw tol' and reclusive man and was like, "MINE."....so I let her keep him.)

(Also lol. I love how I hinted that the previous chapter was going to have something sad or dramatic in it, and then just couldn't fit that scene into the chapter, either! Gave ya all some anxiety there! Oop!
XDDDDD
Ight, imma just stop teasing. You'll know the drama is here when you see it!)

(So far this book has 73,327 words... Wow.)

(Please forgive my writer sins but I am too lazy to edit tonight.)

-

-

You rode on Hero's back as he made his way toward the throne room. Curious... For as long as you have been here, not once have you seen the literal King's throne in person! So it was reasonably a little exciting and scary to finally be led straight toward it.

"I ask that you excuse me if my attitude changes a little as we enter. I am used to being in 'business mode' while inside the throne room." Stepping up to the iron sculpture decorated, large dark arched doors of the throne room. Hero was already straightening his stance a little.

"OoOo, what do you do in there?" You pondered aloud.

"Basically...everything." Extending one hand towards the massive doorway, which was about four times the man's height, he used the powers of his mind to open them slowly.

          Creeeee...

One of the doors screeched on its old hinges. "Ugh... Need to have that door oiled again.." The king huffed. Beyond the doors, pitch black darkness whispered eerily. Thinking back, this entire castle's layout, all of its rooms and hallways merely circled around this room, right?.. Meaning that this was of the most important rooms in the entire building! The centerpiece of the very place you had been living in for a month now! The freakish darkness lingered for a while as Hero entered with you into it. His footsteps echoed for what sounded like miles!.. How big WAS this room?!

After grazing his hand against a solid wall for some time, the man's faintly glowing eyes illuminated a light switch. His hands were beginning to tremble by the time he at last flicked them on.

Life was brought to the room! One massive chandelier after another flashed on, the light slowly crawling from one side of the room to the other. You gasped in astonishment. The place was about the size of a FOOTBALL STADIUM!!!

"Heh... The architects were ahead of their time. Created this room to be able to withstand any attack as a last line of defense, able to hold thousands upon thousands in need of protection." The man strode boldly into the open space of the room, sliding you back into place against him. You were still marveling at everything!

The light was warm and majestic, gold in tone. It bounced beautifully off of the shiny marble floor and pillars. The pillars were all a glistening white; the floor was much more colorful. Decorating the place beautifully, the floors were a mix of white, deep natural red granite, black sparkly slate, and waxed tan sandstone. The pillars stood rather far from the distant walls, outlining the pathway headed directly toward the throne. A plain, long, red rug about the width of a road paithed the way there. From the massive doors, Hero strode over the repeatedly stomped and squished carpet towards the throne which stood ahead. A massive, almost feathery display of gold departed from the distant wall to further embolden the darker material making up the throne. The chair of importance itself wasn't all too massive. Was made for one, though two could easily fit if one scootched.