ʟɪᴀʀ

I skipped out on school the rest of that week

I skipped out on school the rest of that week. Lying to Bella was getting harder then I had imagined it to be, but today was Monday, and I knew Emily was going to make sure I went back.

"Everything is good. I made some new friends, well they are Sam's friends, and I wouldn't admit it to them, but I do like them."  I spoke into the phone as I laid out on my bed.

"And Bella?" Edward asking and I just sucked in a breath.

"It was bad at first, but then Jacob came into the picture."

"I know you hate thinking about her in the Rez, but I can keep her safe here." I said and he took a long pause.

"I know. I appreciate everything you've done while we've been gone."

"Do you think you'll ever come back?" I asked and there was nothing, but silence on the other end of the phone.

"Hey, it's okay. She'll move on, if it were up to Jake he would've put a ring on it already." I said jokingly as Edward tensed.

"And you. How are things with Mike?" Edward asked needing to change the subject.

"We are together, but sometimes I wish we weren't." I said honestly. Something changed when I moved the the Rez, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"Is there someone else?"

"I feel like there could be."

"I've told you this before Mal, you've got great instincts, use them." He said and I just smiled.

"Yeah, thanks Ed. I have to go, Mike's picking me up for school." I said quickly hanging up the phone, as I heard someone coming down the hallway.

"Hey." Paul breathed out leaning in the doorway of my room.

"What are you doing awake before eight?" I asked and he just cracked a smile.

"I have patrol, thought I could walk you to where the marshmallow picks you up." He said and I just rolled my eyes.

I picked up my bag and slipped my phone into my back pocket as I walked around him and towards the front of the house with him following.

"I'll see you later, I'm going to Bella's after school." I said and Sam just smirked seeing Paul following after me like a dog.

"So, tonight is Embry's first solo patrol. We were gonna play a joke on him, scare him a bit. You wanna come?" Paul asked and I just stopped in my tracks and looked at him.

"Why?"

"Because the kids afraid of the dark, we could scare the crap out of him." He said with a chuckle.

"No, why would I come?"

"Because we are friends, and I enjoy spending time with you." He said and I just eyed him suspiciously.