T E N

I avoided Corpse for the rest of the night, keeping to myself on the outskirts of the group, however I still somehow found myself stuck on first watch with him

Just my luck.

I didn't know why what he said bothered me. Maybe cause I had never considered how I acted around the girl before and now I was hyper aware that I was a different person with her.

Is he hinting that he'd seen my soft side and would use it to expose my weakness?

Try as I might, I still didn't trust the boy next to me. People were dangerous, and I had no idea where or who he had been with before he found us. For all we knew, he could be from that place too.

He could've been with the guys who tried to take us and had 'saved' us to earn our trust and hand us over himself.

God knows he would've been paid real well for his find.

Shaking my head to rid myself of my worrying thoughts, I seemed to catch the attention of the boy across the room.

We were downstairs in the building we had chosen to occupy, each sat at a different window quietly watching the night go by. We had only been on watch an hour but I was struggling to keep my eyes open, I had no idea how I was going to last another two.

"Everything okay?" His voice was low in the room, just loud enough for me to hear but not too loud as to wake our sleeping companions upstairs.

"Yeah. You?" My eyes glanced to him quickly before turning back to watch out the window.

"Mhm." Corpse hummed, not offering anything else and keeping his gaze focused intently outside like I was.

Deciding to take the silence as long as I could get it, I turned my own attention back out my window to watch for anything in the night.

I was quite happy staying like this. I didn't need to talk to Corpse, I just needed to stay focused and protect my family. I wasn't going to let a boy distract me.

Time seemed to pass slowly in the silence, my eyes struggling to stay open as it dragged on. My lack of sleep was really catching up to me now but I didn't want to give up my spot on watch. I needed to do it.

I couldn't really explain it. I just needed this, needed to be proactive in protecting the people I love.

My head jerked wildly up as I realised I was falling asleep with my forehead pressed against the window. It was getting difficult to keep myself awake now.

"Nora." Corpse's voice whispered from right next to me, his shadow making me jump when I realised he was right next to me now and not over at his own spot. He must have crept over when I was dozing off.

"Huh?" I mumbled, confused at how I hadn't noticed him move at all. My eyes blinked slowly as I turned my head to stare up at the boy.

"You really need to sleep." His voice was low in the dark room, almost careful.