F O U R

We had thankfully made it to the store before nightfall without too many problems

We had thankfully made it to the store before nightfall without too many problems. Very few zombies had bothered us on our trip thanks to the route Jax took us and the ones that did I had dealt with.

The store was small, with only five aisles that had mostly been raided by now. The front door was blocked off and we were currently sat around the fire that Lucas had built near the back of the store in front of the register.

I was sat on top of the counter with my leg stretched out, Sera sitting in front of me in a camp chair we'd found in the back and Leila next to her with her head resting back against the counter I was on. Opposite us Vince and Ara were sat against the shelves and Lucas and Jax had taken residence against the wall.

We had just cooked dinner and eaten and were now discussing who would take watch.

"I can take first shift." I offered immediately when Lucas brought it up. He hesitated before nodding over at me.

"Okay, it's a small building and we're locked up pretty tight so I think we're good to do single shifts tonight." Lucas finally said after a moments silence.

"I'll do second." Jax offered after a moment, clearly deep in thought about something as he looked around at our group. "And it's best if you do third Lucas."

"Are we not good enough for watch?" Vince scoffed from where he was sat, gesturing to himself and Ara. I just sighed in response, please tell me they weren't about to argue about this.

"I'm being rational here. Leila and Sera need sleep so they're out of the running and you and Ara look exhausted after the walk today so you need it to. Nora, Lucas and I are the least tired here." Jax explained, actually making sense when he laid it out.

"He's right." Lucas cut off Vince who had opened his mouth to argue. "You guys are no use to us this tired tomorrow, take the rest. God knows we might not get the chance to let you have it again."

Vince pursed his lips but nodded, leaning back in his spot. He might be stupid when it came to surviving but he was smart enough to know not to argue back to that.

I jumped down from the counter and left to get the girls' sleeping bags to set them up for the night. I decided to place Sera behind the counter with Leila next to her, and placed my own sleeping bag at the opening into it.

No one could get into the girls without going over me so if anyone or anything somehow managed to get in during the night, I'd be in the way to protect them.

Lucas must have sensed what I was doing because he placed his sleeping bag right next to mine so we formed a barricade in front of them.