Chapter 30--News of the Trial

(A.N. Sorry if this is slightly boring and below standards. I'm kind of going through a tough time right now with so many difficult things going on—I did explain this at the end too—so if this chapter starts going all ehhhhhhh then I'm sorry. I'm just not in a good mood. Hope things can look up though.)

Sunlight soon entered through your eyelids, forcing you to open them as you recognized where you were. You felt something shift beside you, and you turned your head in surprise to see Hiro stirring as he removed an arm from you temporarily just to rub his eyes. Suddenly, it all came back to you—the conversation late last night, the slight make out, the wound in your head. Gingerly, you raised a hand up to your head, slipping your fingers below the bandage, to feel the small stitches just at the back of your head, so finely sewn together so that the blood doesn't escape from the wound. Suddenly you wondered where the bullet that was embedded in your head could have gone.

"(Y/N)?"

The sound of Hiro's sleepy voice caught your attention, and you turned to him to see him yawn and gaze at you.

"Hey Hiro," you smiled sweetly, also yawning widely. "Man. That felt good."

"No nightmares?" Hiro smirked. "Oh wow, now that I mention it, I think Callaghan in a clown costume would definitely be a good joke to laugh over."

You suddenly perked up and snorted in loud laughter, and Hiro joined you as you sat up, pulling Hiro up with you. "Tadashi never failed to amuse us," you recalled, remembering that night the older Hamada called you just to share his findings on your family with you.

Suddenly, your laughter was interrupted by one of the hospital staff, who carried in a change of clothes and a syringe full of liquid, her eyes widening when she saw you awake. "Ms. (Y/N)...you're awake. How are you feeling?"

You nodded and gave the nurse a grin, though you couldn't help but feel a little bit bugged by the syringe. "I'm feeling great."

The nurse's face eventually relaxed as she returned a smile. "That's great to hear. Now, you have another visitor outside waiting for you. Do get changed into these clothes and report to the lobby at once."

You nodded. "I will. Thank you."

"No problem." The nurse then left you in the room, not bothering to acknowledge Hiro's presence.

You quickly glanced at Hiro. "That was weird."

"Might be one of the jurors? Or even Mr. Lacitier for that matter," Hiro shrugged.

"Or Melanie, or one of the gang, or Abigail..." You were certainly confused. "And what was with the syringe?"

"They wanted to wake you up with that thing if you still haven't recovered," Hiro told you. "At least, that's what they told me yesterday, when you were still in—"

"The deathlike trance," you cut in. "Yeah. I figured."

Hiro nodded. "Should I...wait outside while you get changed?" he asked quickly, pointing to the door.

"Yeah," you chuckled. "That would be kind of awkward. Or do you still have anything else to tell me?"

"I'll tell you once you're out," Hiro promised. And with that, he quickly left the room.

You took a look at the clothes the nurse gave you. To your surprise, they were the same clothes you wore for the trial. Memories of you being shot in the court quickly flooded back to you, but you couldn't let your fear show. Whoever was out there might think you would be insane. Quickly, you got out of the hospital gown that you were wearing (which was unfortunately to you a bit exposing, and you were grateful the night before that you and Hiro didn't go too far), and changed into the clothes given to you, glad that they were washed. The scent of blood at least wasn't there.