Chapter 29--Late at night

"Hiro?"

The sound of his name being called made him stir now, oh so slightly, but he brushed it aside as he kept his eyes closed, unsure of whether to drift back to sleep or wake up. It sounded so distant, yet so close, like a memory from a dream, and it almost immediately caught his attention when he realized who was calling his name.

"Urnggghhhh..." he groaned, opening his eyes to feel a gentle grip on his hand. Something was stroking his palm softly, lightly, like it was tracing a pattern, a design that he knows oh so well, on his hand.

"Hiro."

He was fully awake now to the sound of your voice calling his name, and only his name, and he turned to you now, your eyes gazing through him, smiling at him weakly.

"(Y/N)," he whispered, getting up from his sitting position and standing over you, his hand hovering just over your cheek before it made contact with your face, lightly stroking it. He couldn't believe it—after so long, after so long since you first entered the hospital since the incident at the court, you would beat the odds and still be here, with him.

"What are you doing here, Hiro?" You whispered softly, trapping his hand lightly on your cheek with your hand. "It's after visiting hours. I think. Wait, what time is it, even?"

Hiro glanced at the clock by your bed. "2:30 in the morning."

You groaned, but then gave a slight gasp as your head throbbed. "How...how long have you been here? How long was I out?"

Hiro sat perched on your bedside now, stroking your hand with his other hand. "That...that's a long story. You've been here for a week, in this death-like coma. And...that's how long I've been here."

Your eyes widened. A week? A week in this death-like state? How many souls have you stirred in complete worry? You immediately felt guilt settle into your heart like a dark monster, and you closed your eyes, gently raising your hand to trap Hiro's on your cheek.

"Tell me everything that happened," you told him. "Tell me everything from the moment I was shot."

Hiro swallowed. He wasn't sure exactly how to open this without making you feel weirded out. "Okay, so..." He took a deep breath. "The moment you were shot, you kind of collapsed on Gogo, and...it took us a while, but Aunt Cass and Tadashi went to get Baymax. And then—well, this was kind of weird, but Abigail showed up."

"Wait. Abigail...Callaghan? Professor Callaghan's daughter?"

Hiro nodded. "She started going all badass over her dad. I mean, well, to put it in better words, she just argued with him to the point that the whole court, even the jury, was staring at them like it was a bot fight. After, she cried, 'you're not my father'."

You nodded slightly in mere approval. "Nice comeback for someone like her, huh."

Hiro laughed. "Trust me, I was quite impressed. She did say she eloped with her boyfriend though. That was what confused me."

"Probably forbidden love," you noted, raising an eyebrow in suspicion. "Who did she elope with?"

"Another guy called Jose Hernandez," Hiro answered flatly.

"Huh. Well, maybe she does have reason to be dishonoured in the first place," you smirked. "But to be honest I can't believe she's glad about it."

"Funny, because that's what she said," Hiro told you. "She was like, 'I can't believe I can finally say I'm glad I eloped with him. I am Abigail Hernandez, not Abigail Callaghan, and you are not my rightful father,' or something like that."

You nodded solemnly. "Oh." You bit your lip in doubt as you felt Hiro stroke his thumb on yours, trying to calm down, since you were freaking out internally. A week. It has been one week since all of this happened. "What about me? How did I get here?"