Chapter 18--That very evening...

"Man," you sighed, turning on the lights and yawning. "It's great to be back home."

Mr. Lacitier smiled as you smiled wearily at Hiro, who just put an arm around you tiredly. "I know," he murmured to you, closing his eyes briefly.

"Kids," he said, motioning you to the kitchen. "How about a quick cup of hot chocolate? I guess this calls for some celebration. After all, Hiro, you got your brother back, and Melanie got her sister back."

"I wish mom and dad were here," you said airily, looking out of the window to see a full moon high in the sky, several stars twinkling against a navy blue sky.

"They always will be," Hiro spoke up behind you, and you turned to him as he embraced you, the comfort washing you like a calming memory. "They are always here with you."

You smiled, closing your eyes for a brief moment. You knew. You knew that both of your parents have made great impacts on your life, despite the fact that their time with you were so short. But now you have new friends, friends so close to you you literally could call them brothers and sisters of yours. Even Mr. Lacitier started to become family to you, with his openness and willingness to show you how good of a guardian he could really be. And even as you spend time with them, you still have room for your parents, for the good things they have done with you, to you, all those years. And for the first time, you felt no regret making the decision to have Mr. Lacitier remain your guardian.

"You two really seem fitting as a couple," you heard Mr. Lacitier say, and you turned to him, smiling.

"Hiro told me you gave him full permission to make me his girlfriend, right?" you asked, letting go of Hiro.

Mr. Lacitier nodded. "I called Ms. Hamada--or rather, Aunt Cass--but then I ended up having a chat with Hiro. He's a really nice kid, honestly, and I fully approve of your relationship with him. Well, that being said, you both took the plunge. And I'm glad you did."

You gazed at Mr. Lacitier. Perhaps at first glance the monocle and triangular face could be disturbing, but inside he had a kind heart. On the surface he looked like a suspicious villain, but you knew you can't just look on the outside to determine what kind of person he is. You have to look beyond that to see what he truly has to offer. And for that, you were grateful he took up the responsibility to take care of you.

Soon, the hot chocolates were ready. Mr. Lacitier set them down on the kitchen table for the both of you while he started to brew up some tea, and you and Hiro started to sip on it, the warmth seeping through the both of you, soothing you.

"Remember this was how we met the first time?" you asked Hiro, grinning. "You saw me soaked on my first day of work, and then Aunt Cass offered me hot chocolate and a blanket, and then we just started talking about things...?"

"Oh yeah, for sure," Hiro replied, smiling back. "How could I forget? That was the first day I opened up to you."

"And I you," you recalled. "It's funny, because I normally wouldn't tell people right off the bat about my dad...but the fact that you cared really touched me."

"I'm glad I stuck with you then," Hiro finally admitted, taking another sip from his hot chocolate. "Normally people won't take Tadashi's death like it was a big matter. But the fact that you did outside of his friends...I guess that was when I started to fall for you."

"The first moment your arms were around me, I knew," you smiled. "I knew there was someone out there who cared. I knew there was someone out there who was willing to help."

"(Y/N), no offense, but you're kind of sounding like my brother," Hiro stated. "I remember him saying, 'Someone has to help" before he ran in the fire..."