Chapter 8

"Take a look at these cards." Airi grabbed a fresh deck of cards. The group surrounded the coffee table and stared at the face down cards that were laid out on the table.

"Do you notice anything?"

Kotaro, Eikichi and Reo shook their heads. Akashi sat still, observing the cards thoughtfully.

"They have slightly different patterns."

"Correct."

Akashi nearly let out a gasp. His eyes were widened as he stared disbelievingly at the vice president.

"Akashi-kun, you know what that means, I assume."

"Is that even humanly possible? It's so slight..."

"Don't just leave us hanging! What does it mean?" Kotaro grumbled impatiently.

"She means that she remembers each of the intricate patterns and what card they are."

"What?!" Kotaro screeched.

"Akashi is correct. Most brands actually have this slight difference. I think it has something to with the manufacturing but I am not certain. It was a little bit of hard work at the beginning, but it paid off to learn all the patterns of cards from different brands."

"That's impossible! What card is this?"

Kotaro picked up a card from the table, taking extra care to not show it to Airi. Without hesitation, Airi glanced at the card and responded.

"Ace of spades."

Eikichi, Reo and Akashi, who were all sitting behind Kotaro and looking at the card, stared in disbelief at Airi.

"What about this one?" Reo picked another, only showing its face to his teammates.

"6 of spades."

"That's so freaky!" Excitedly, Kotaro picked up a handful off cards, insisting Airi name all of them. Without fail, Airi responded without hesitation after looking at the back of the card.

"What if they're holding a card in their hand and it blocks your view of the pattern?" Akashi asked, still genuinely impressed by his friend.

"Well, that hasn't been an issue yet and I doubt it will ever be. Dealers deal the cards to players in front of everyone, so I just have to look while they're dealing."

"At such high speed that those dealers deal in too..."

"Don't tell anyone, please. Gambling is no joke. If anyone found out, it would cost me my life. Anyways, that's enough gambling talk. Let's watch a movie!"

"A romcom?"

"Mibuchi, that stuff is gross."

"Unfortunately, I am agreeing with Kotaro on this."

"How is it unfortunate?!"

~

Eikichi was passed out on the couch, and the snoring was comically loud. 

"Ri-chan, are you sure it's ok to sleep over?" The sun had long since set over Kyoto, and the night sky took over. From the 21st floor of the Tomi Apartment Complex, the view of Kyoto's streets were nothing short of breathtaking. Many houses had outside lights, illuminating the dark night with warm lights and occasional red lanterns.

"Of course."

"What are the sleeping arrangements?"

"Um... There is only one guest bedroom so we'll split into 2 and 2 since no-one could possibly sleep on the other couch with Eikichi-senpai's loud snoring."

"Alright then. Hayama and I will take the guest bedroom." Reo-nee's quick response caused Akashi to raise his eyebrow at his senpais.

"Sure. I don't have extra futons though, so you have to share a bed. It's king sized, so you should have plenty of space."

The two disappeared, leaving Akashi and Airi in the living room with the elephant snores of Eikichi. 

"Let's go, Akashi-kun."

Leading the way, Airi walked into her bedroom, not bothering to flick on the warm lights. Her room was organised and minimalistic, just how she liked it. Airi was about to throw herself onto her bed before she paused as a thought struck her.

"E-eto. I h-hope you don't mind sharing a bed." She blushed, mentally beating herself up for stuttering. She avoided Akashi's gaze completely as she made her way to the other side of the bed, slipping under the covers. She felt the bed sink a little from Akashi's weight, and he pulled the blanket over himself, causing her right side exposed to the cold night.

"H-hey! Don't steal all the blanket!"

"Come closer then." Airi could almost hear the smirk in his voice as heat crept up her face. She certainly didn't want to be cold, but she already knew there was no point arguing with an emperor. Begrudgingly muttering "fine," Airi scooted over to the redhead, who flicked the blanket over her. She was so close that she could feel his body heat. Flushing red again, she laid on her side, facing away from the boy.

"O-oyasuminasai, A-Akashi-kun."

"Why are you stuttering? Are you still cold?" Airi gulped a little at his mocking tone. Without warning, she felt a warm arm wrap around her waist and lay atop of her. Any response she had was completely wiped from her memory as she comprehended the situation.

"Oyasumi, Airi-chan."

Her mind was blank. She had shut off all thoughts. They were too distracting, taking her out of the moment. She didn't want to think. She just wanted to feel. 

It didn't sit right with Airi, something felt wrong. But it also felt right. This friendship, it was something else. Something she didn't understand yet because she had made friends previously, and it didn't feel like this. It was something she had never felt before. 

Whatever 'it' was.