Chapter 3

"Ok class! Your first assignment is going to be a paired project for this term is on a type of modern biological advancement! You'll be presenting it to the class in two weeks. Since it's your first project, I'll let you choose your partners." Yoshida-sensei, who adopted the affectionate nickname Yoshi-sensei, announced to the class. 

Airi gulped, unsure as to who would partner up with her. Most of the girls had already gotten into pairs, whereas the large group of boys were arguing over who would go with who out of their group. They had already gotten into their cliques yesterday, whereas Airi had only befriended the 3 second-years in the basketball team. As if by some miracle, she spotted a girl at the back of the class who was silently reading and not even bothering to look for a partner. 

Airi decided that she would make her way to the isolated brunette. Just as she was about to take a step forward, a person that she most definitely did not want to pair with grabbed her arm.

"Yunabami. Pair with me." The voice sent chills down her spine and completely stopped her in her tracks, wiping out whatever thoughts she had before.

"A-Akashi-san." Airi cursed herself again for stuttering. It seemed like she did it often now. His demanding and mesmerising eyes were accompamied by a tightlipped smirk.

"I do not want to repeat myself."

Yesterday, Airi had researched the boy, discovering that his family were wealthy businesspeople in the same field of work her parents did, owning one of the largest Japanese corporations, Akashi Inc. He was of high status and seemed to not take no for an answer. 

She was extremely tempted to say something sassy back but manage to restrain herself. Collecting herself, she managed to cool her head and think of a coherent answer, just like she did before she came to Rakuzan.

No tarnishing the Momobami Clan.

"Sure."

Akashi saw her demeanour change, if that was possible. He saw how she went from flustered to calm in mere moments and it intruiged him. Shoving their tables together, Akashi placed his chair and sat uncomfortably close to the girl.

Airi knew he was doing this on purpose. Normally, she would avoid confrontation, but she didn't want Akashi to get his way on this matter.

"Please respect my personal space and sit further away from me."

Akashi was stunned. This girl was smart, heck, she was the daughter of his father's partnering company. If so, she knew he was absolute. Powerful. Undeniable. Yet she dared to order him.

Airi was terrified of the repercussions though it wasn't evident on her face, but the most terrifying response was the one that Akashi gave her.

He chuckled.

It wasn't a joy filled one and honestly, Airi thought that this reaction was more terrifying than any other she could think of at that moment.

"Yunabami Airi. You certainly are interesting."

~

The two silently worked on the research project together in class after splitting up the work, occasionally asking questions about the script. Airi was on the edge since she heard Akashi say that to her. Even after all that staring, she still couldn't uncover his hidden intention.

The bell rang, signalling lunch break and disrupting the pair's concentration. Airi slipped her notebook into her bag along with her stationery. 

"Sit with me." 

Not having anything to lose (except her sanity), she nodded wordlessly, clearing her desk and pulling out her bento. Akashi once again put their two desks together while Airi was struggling to think of any good conversation starters.

"Akashi-san, why are you eating with me? Don't you have friends?"

"Does it look like I have friends?"

Of course an arrogant guy like you wouldn't have any friends, Airi thought. She would never in a million years say that to Akashi, so she simply didn't say anything. She had dealt with some arrogant business partners before but she never had one so condescending and her age.

"Akashi-san, why did you pick Rakuzan?" Maybe if she had some more information, she could identify the mysterious flicker she sees in his eyes occasionally.

"The basketball team is good."

Airi nearly choked on her rice. What were the chances that the one person she didn't want to see was the one person that had signed up to her club?

"I see... so you signed up already?"

"Yes. What club did you join?"

"I...actually joined the basketball club too...as the manager..." Airi trailed off, already regretting her decision. Again, Akashi let out a chuckle that made Airi's hairs stand up. Through observation, he didn't seem surprised despite her small stature. 

"It seems we were destined to be aquaintances either way." Akashi mused and Airi felt uncomfortable at the way he worded it. She was about to tell him before she noticed that he didn't bring out a bento to eat, or any food for that matter. 

"Akashi-san? Do you have any food?"

"I planned to purchase it from the cafeteria, only to find out this ridiculous school doesn't have one."

Airi paused her eating. Akashi didn't know? Was that even possible? Feeling pity towards the redhead, she was about to offer him some of her lunch but hesitated. It was a bit embarrasing, sharing a meal with a guy. On the other hand, she still didn't want the redhead getting hungry.

"C-can I offer you some of mine?" Airi turned a deep shade of scarlet, looking down as she offered the redhead some of her food. She heard the infamous chuckle and if it was even possible, she turned a deeper shade of red. Without looking up, she already knew he had that tightlipped smirk on his face.

"Thank you."

And with that, Airi pulled out a pair of disposable chopsticks from her bag before handing it to the emperor. He graciously took it, and to diffuse the thick atmosphere, Airi continued working on their research project until a foreign question waltzed into her mind.

"Akashi-san?"

"Yes?"

"Are we friends?"

The question caught Akashi off guard, making him freeze with his chopsticks midway to his mouth.

"Hmm... yes we are."

"Okay..."

Unbeknownst to Airi, something was growing in her heart, something she certainly didn't feel ready for. All because of this unforseen friendship, if she could even call it that.