Chapter 5

The homeroom was buzzing with chatter as the students returned to their seat and discussed the assembly. Today, the principal had announced that there would be student council elections that were open to anyone. There would be speeches and voting next week, and the results would be announced the day following the speeches.

When Airi heard the words student council, she immediately froze up, recalling her cousin Momobami Kirari in Hyakkao Private Academy. Crazy was an understatement for Momobami. She moulded the entire academy into her own aquarium, seeing which fish would be the biggest and the strongest, and the horrifying, limb risking gambles Airi had been forced to take in that school was more than enough for her lifetime.

Interrupting her thoughts, a knock was heard and the principal slid the wooden door open.

"May I please speak to Akashi Seijuro and Yunabami Airi? No need to pack your belongings up, it won't take long."

Oh no. That was the only thought circulating Airi's mind. As far as she was concerned, she hadn't broken any rules, and Akashi wasn't the type to do that. Trailing behind Akashi, she shot him a questioning look behind the principal's back. Akashi merely gave her his signature smirk in return.

He definitely knew.

However, Airi was left puzzled as to what the principal could possibly want from her. Perhaps sponsorships? Teachers commonly asked fo those from her. However, the principal was quite a powerful man himself. Looking at him now, though, she could tell he was going to ask something of them. However, the air surrounding him at a constant signalled that he wasn't one to ask for things, giving off a more an importunate and demanding type.

Just like Akashi.

The principal led them through the administration office and they were instructed to sit across from his desk.

"So, I'm sure you're wondering why I called you both here."

Wordlessly, Airi nodded. Not that it mattered since he was going to continue speaking either way.

"I'm sure you two know, but next week the candidates for student council roles will be giving speeches. I'm sure I speak on behalf of the school when I say that Rakuzan would be honoured if both of you ran for president."

You will both run for student council president.

"Both of you would be more than substantial in the position, however, both of you know there is only one position."

I don't know which one of you to pick for the position.

Airi decided that she would stop his spiel now since she didn't want to hear the bald-headed man speak any longer.

"Sir, I had no intention of partaking in the student council election since I had no interest in it. However, after hearing your encomium, it seems quite impossible to refuse and waste your efforts in bringing us here."

I don't care. Just make Akashi the president and make me vice-president and let us go already.

"I see. In that case, you are dismissed. I am eager to see your names on the announcement board next week since your peers do recognise your diligence and talents."

You two will win this election and I will make sure that my two most competent and high achieving students continue Rakuzan's successful legacy.

"Thank you."

To be honest, Airi still didn't get over the nervousness that came with speaking to higher-ups. However, she knew better than to let that nervousness show during any speech, only releasing it after presentation. Swiftly grabbing Akashi's arm, she power walked out of the administration office.

Letting out a breath she was holding, she leaned against the wall, trembling slightly since she was unprepared. She had always been like that when someone asked her to make a speech on the spot.

"You knew?" She asked Akashi, not that she didn't already know the answer.

"Of course."

"And you knew I would let you take the role of president?"

"You looked like you were going to fall asleep during assembly this morning."

Airi paled a little. She always made sure she had a resting blank expression when she was at any presentations or speeches, and she was 100% sure that today's assembly was no different. As if reading her mind, Akashi spoke again.

"You stared at the left curtain for most of the presentation."

"I see. I will work on my inattentivity habits."

"Despite your lack of attention, you managed to think of an up to par response. Impressive. "

"Thanks...?" She didn't know if he was complimenting her, since commendation didn't seem to be part of the boy's vocabulary.

"Let's return to class." Without leaving room for discussion, Akashi grabbed her arm and dragged her back to their homeroom. Since it was spring, she wasn't wearing a jacket, and his cold hands wrapped around her wrist, the sudden skin to skin contact made her jump a little. Prying his fingers off her wrist gently, she didn't break her speedy stride.

Arriving at the classroom, they sat next to each other, with Akashi in the seat next to the window.

Airi had observed before that the students would stay clear of Akashi with terrified eyes and purposely avoiding his gaze. She didn't care before, but now that she was acquainted with him, she received the same treatment. She was glad, in a way.

In Hyakkao Private Academy, she was picked on and bullied by her peers because her cousin was the crazy student council president. She couldn't make any friends since they only jeered at her and excluded her. At least in Rakuzan, where all the students were more mature, they would stay out of her way, not just because of Akashi and his position of being sole heir to Akashi Incorporation, but because the Momobami Clan was the most politically influential group of all of Japan. Akashi himself, even without his background, was a demanding, sadistic himedere.

Safe to say Airi would not be making any other friends anytime soon. She would have to stick with Akashi and her 4 basketball senpais.

No one would dare speak to the power pair.