7: Confrontations

I woke up to the sound of my bedroom door being slammed open. Elinor started crying and I jumped out of bed so fast.

It was my brothers. I already knew what this was about. They looked pissed.

I already knew that they knew I went to the room with the big red doors because they check the security cameras we have in the house everyday.

I snapped out of my thoughts and realized that Elinor was still crying. Instinct kicked in and told me to calm her down and protect her.

Although I knew my brothers wouldn't do anything to her, I couldn't help my instinct. I had thought the same thing about my mother.

After a good five minutes of reassuring Elinor that everything was okay, she calmed down.

Hendrix had a deadly look on his face. Really all this just because I went into a room? It's not like I'm five anymore. I'm seventeen for crying out loud!

I was snapped out of my thoughts again as Hendrix spoke, "what are you playing at?"

I was confused now. I had no idea what Hendrix was talking about. Seeing the look of confusion on my face, he said, "don't play dumb with me Elias. I got what you sent. And how convenient that you also went into the room in the basement?" His tone was anything but friendly.

I guessed Elinor sensed his tone because she shrunk further into me. I rubbed her back to calm her down.

Lucian saw this and nudged Hendrix with his elbow. Once Hendrix took his deadly glare from me and looked at Lucian, Lucian pointed to Elinor.

Hendrix's face softened when he saw the way Elinor was pressed into me, and the protective way that I held her.

I finally decided to speak up, "I didn't send anyone anything. And I went into the room with the big red doors because nobody had told me anything about father or mother. I'm not a little kid anymore, Hendrix. I'd like to know what happened to dad."

My brothers looked taken aback. If they weren't going to be civil about this, then I wasn't going to be civil either.

Hendrix sighed. "Fine, we'll talk about this later. But I don't want you going down in that room again without permission" he said.

I nodded my head, got out of my bed with Elinor still held protectively in my arms, and walked out of my bedroom. I held back the tears that threatened to fall. Of course my brothers didn't believe me once again.

I walked downstairs to the kitchen so that I could get Elinor breakfast. I grabbed the apple, strawberry, banana baby food. I also grabbed a baby spoon, and then went into the dining room.

I set Elinor down in her high chair and started feeding her.

My brothers walked in with an annoyed expression on their faces.

"What are you doing?!" Enzo asked, as if it wasn't the most obvious thing in the world.

"I'm feeding Elinor breakfast?" I asked in a confused tone.

He huffed and sat down along with my other brothers. I could feel their stares on me, but I ignored them and focused on Elinor.

She looked like she was enjoying the baby food, which I was thankful for. This was the first time she would be eating baby food.

"Elias, we need to talk," Hendrix said, breaking me out of my concentration on Elinor.

"Look, I did go into the room in the basement, but I never sent you or anyone else anything." I said, without looking at them.

"Stop lying Elias! The proof is there."

Not going to lie, that hurt. They've never believed me about anything before, so I figured they wouldn't believe me about this. I had no idea what was even sent or how, but it wasn't me.

I decided I wasn't going to comment on that. Instead I finished feeding Elinor and said, "after I give Elinor a bath, we're going out for a few hours."

My tone was hurt. And they could tell. But truth was, I didn't want to be here any longer. I was going to bathe Elinor, then leave for a few hours to clear my mind and let my brothers cool off so they don't do something.

My brothers didn't seem to like this idea because Hendrix spoke up and said, "no. You will stay. We need to talk about this."

I didn't say anything. Instead, I grabbed Elinor out of her high chair and went upstairs to the bathroom so I could give her a bath.

I heard one of my brothers sigh when I reached the stairs, and then footsteps followed me. I internally groaned.

Ignoring the three people behind me, I went into the bathroom, and ran a bath. Once the bath was to the right temperature and height needed, I put Elinor in it. She started splashing away instantly. I chuckled. It was her favorite thing to do in the bath.

I washed Elinor, and then got her out of the bath. When I walked past my brothers that were standing in the doorway, Elinor made grabby hands to Hendrix. I stopped and looked at Hendrix who was looking at a smiling Elinor.

He looked at me as if to ask permission and I nodded. He grabbed Elinor from me, and then I left the bathroom to go get her some clothes and a diaper. Hendrix was following close behind me.

Once I made it to Elinor's room, I put the stuff on the changing table. Hendrix put Elinor down on it and watched as I got her ready for the day. I put a little bow in her hair.

"Elias, I know you're trying to ignore this but-"

I cut him off, "Hendrix, I just don't understand why you guys never believe anything I say. I told you I had no idea about anything that was sent to you. Before I left, I told you about what mom was doing to me. You didn't believe me then either, and look where that got you. I'll be 18 soon, so I'll find my own place and Elinor and I will get out of your hair."

He sighed and had a sad look on his face. Then he said, "Elias, we don't want you to leave, we just wanted to know about the email that was sent. I'm sorry for not believing you. You and Elinor will always have a home here."

Then, he left. I did feel a little bad, but I was still hurt. They've never believed me when it mattered.