6: That Day 12 Years Ago

TW: Abuse, mentions of abuse

12 years ago.

I had just woken up. I was really excited, because dad had promised that he would take my brothers and me to the park.

As I was heading downstairs for breakfast, I heard my parents shouting at each other down the hallway in their room. This was turning into a normal thing. Honestly, we all expected it at this point. We could never have a normal day if both mom and dad were in the same room.

I tried my best to ignore the yelling coming from down the hall and made my way downstairs. I wasn't going to let my parents ruin my good mood!

When I entered the dining room, my brothers were already there. I went and sat next to Lucian. Although I loved all of my brothers, and had my own bond with each of them, Lucian was my favorite. We were closest in age.

My brothers all looked miserable. Mom and dads fighting has affected all of us, and it seemed that even though today was supposed to be an exciting day, my brothers were still not that happy. I wondered why, so I asked.

"Why do you guys look so sad?"

All of my brothers attention was on me now. They all exchanged a look, then without speaking, went back to eating their breakfast.

I decided that I would eat breakfast too. Dad did always tell me that in order to be really strong and big when I'm older, to never skip breakfast because it was the most important meal of the day!

As I was happily eating my breakfast, mom and dad walked in. They sat on opposite sides of the table. Dad sat at the head and mom sat on the other end, as far away from him as possible.

In all honesty, I didn't really like my mom. She was never nice to me. I don't know why. I never did anything to her. She would randomly yell at me or hurt me when it was just me and her alone. I tried telling my dad and brother's, but they didn't believe me.

"I have something to say" my father suddenly spoke, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I was curious as to what it was. But my curiosity soon died when I saw the look on my father's face. This couldn't be good.

"Your mother and I are getting a divorce" my father stated in a bored tone, as if what he said had no impact on him at all.

I looked around the table to see my brother's expressions. Enzo was glaring at dad. He has always been a mama's boy. Lucian looked a bit sad, and Hendrix had a blank expression on his face.

"Your mother has decided that she will be moving out. Today." I was a little relieved. Sure I loved my mother, but she was so mean to me for no reason. One time I had asked her why she was so mean, and she told me that she wanted a girl.

Our family hasn't had a female born into it for generations. The last one was my great great great great grandmother. It made me sad when she said that. I felt like my mother didn't want me. I had asked my dad later that day if he was happy that I was born a boy, and he told me he was. I never questioned it after that.

I was once again broken out of my thoughts by Enzo speaking "What does that mean for us? Are we going to get to visit mom?"

I looked at my father. He had a look of sorrow on his face. He also looked guilty.

"Your mother has decided that she is only taking one of you.." my dad said slowly, as if that would soften the blow.

All of our heads snapped to him. I couldn't imagine living without my brothers.

"Who...?" Hendrix had asked. I was also curious. Surely it was going to be Enzo. They had a strong bond. And although he was mean to me sometimes, I still loved him and would be sad if he left.

My father looked at my mother for a moment then he looked around the table till his eyes landed on me. My brothers noticed this and their expressions changed. They looked sad and shocked as well. They knew mom and I didn't get along.

I had no idea why everyone looked so upset. Or why dad was staring at me with a look of regret. Until he began speaking again "Elias is going with your mother. It was her choice"

I wanted to cry and scream and kick. If I thought mom was bad now, it would be worse living with her. We didn't have the risk of any of my brothers or my father to walk in, or for them to notice the bruises.

I thought my mother hated me. Why would she want to take me?

My father noticed the tears that started to fall down my cheeks and instantly went to my side. At that moment, I felt a lot of things. Resentment, hate, fear, sadness. I resented my father for allowing my mother to take me away. I hated my mom for the constant pain she seemed to cause in my life. I feared for the worst living with her. And finally, I was sad that my father and brothers didn't believe me when I had told them what my mother had been doing to me.

My father tried to hug me and whisper reassuring things to me. I pushed him away. Nothing was going to convince me that everything was going to be okay. Because even as a clueless 5 year old, I knew that nothing was going to be okay.

I looked at my father for a brief second. He looked hurt. But I didn't care. I ran up to my room like my life depended on it, not once looking back to see the look on my families face.

I practically fell into my bed. I started to cry really hard. It felt like my heart had been cut right down the middle, with a knife. I would never forgive my father for what he allowed my mother to do. Or my brothers for not fighting for me to stay. I would've fought for them to stay.

It was at this moment that my little clueless 5 year old self felt like it wasn't wanted. I felt like all those times that my mother told me no one wanted me here was true.

Suddenly, my door opened. I was still laying face first on my bed, crying into my pillow. I didn't look up to see who had entered, because I didn't care.

Then, the person that walked in started speaking. Their voice was deep, so I knew it was my father, but I couldn't hear anything he was saying through my muffled sobs.

Finally realizing that I wasn't listening to what he was saying, dad put a hand on my back and started rubbing it. I wanted so badly for my father to tell me that he wouldn't let my mother take me away from him or my brother's. But that never happened.

Once I had calmed down, he had helped me pack. I didn't talk to him. I didn't want to talk to him. I felt betrayed. Dad had always promised us that he would never let anything bad happen to us, yet he was so oblivious to mom hurting me. He broke his promise by sending me with mom.

When it was time for us to go, I begged and pleaded with my father to not let her take me. He just gave me a sorrowful look. I looked to my brothers. They all looked like they were trying to hold back their tears.

I finally gave up I'm trying to fight to stay. I knew that no matter what I said to my father or brother's, they wouldn't do anything.

I let my mom take me. I let her drag me out of the place I once called home with her sharp long fingernails digging into my skin.

That was the day I decided that I never wanted to see my father or brothers again.