2: First Dinner As A Family

I woke up to a knock on the door. I sit up from my bed and open it. At the door was Hendrix telling me that dinner was done. I turned around only to be met with an awake Elinor. She was rubbing her eyes sleepily. When she looked at me she smiled and said "da da!"

I smiled back at her and was about to talk to her when I was suddenly interrupted by Hendrix. "Da da? That's your baby?" He asked.

I picked up Elinor who was still smiling and turned around to face my oldest brother. "Yes, her name is Elinor." I said. In all honesty I didn't want them to know, but I knew they were going to figure it out eventually.

" I see" Hendrix said. "Why don't you two come downstairs. I'm sure Enzo and Lucian will be happy to see you again, and to meet Elinor."

I nodded reluctantly. I had heard about what had happened to my father, which was why I was so hostile towards Hendrix when I first saw him again. When I was younger, I was a daddy's boy.

I walked down the stairs to the dining room. When my two other brothers saw me they paused. Then, they looked down at Elinor. I held her close to me as their expressions changed. Enzo looked a little angry, although I knew that he never really showed his true anger through his eyes. Lucian however, he looked surprised.

I mean I guess I'd be surprised too if my brother that had been missing for 12 years suddenly came back and had a baby with him.

Hendrix walked in after us and told me to take a seat. I sat down with Elinor on my lap, pulled close to my chest.

"Why do you have a baby?!" Enzo spat.

At this, I pulled Ellie closer. I wasn't going to let my brother hurt her. Part of me knew that he wouldn't, but I wasn't so sure. When Enzo was angry, he was like a volcano and had no impulse control.

"Enzo, don't be so rude! Eli is back. I'm sure if you give him time to talk, then he'll explain." Lucian said.

Lucian was my favorite brother when I was younger. We were the closest in age.

I decided to try to remain civil for Ellie's sake. So, I replied with, "because she's my daughter. And I couldn't just leave her."

Lucian looked at me, then at Elinor surprised.
"Daughter? She's a girl? You had the first girl born into the Sterling family for generations."

Enzo's eyes flashed with something I didn't quite recognize, before he asked "what's her name? And where is her mother? Why couldn't you leave her with her?"

I sighed. I didn't really want to explain to them that Amber was dead. I still wasn't over it. And I definitely didn't want to go into detail, so I told them the short and sweet version.

"Her name is Elinor, and her mother is dead."

At this, their expressions changed. It surprised me. Hendrix was about to say something when he was interrupted by Elinor.
"Ba ba" she said.

She was hungry, but I didn't have anything to give her. I had planned going to the store to get her more food after I took a nap. That had obviously failed.

I read somewhere one time that at about 6 months, babies can start eating solid foods. So I got up with Elinor about to head to the kitchen, when I was interrupted.

"Where are you going? We're supposed to be eating."

It was Enzo. I looked at him with narrowed eyes and said "Elinor comes first. Always. And since I don't have her normal food, I'm going to go find something for her to eat."

I walked to the kitchen before anyone said anything else. I didn't want to argue with them. Especially not in front of Elinor.

When I walked in, the first thing I looked for was soft food that I could use to feed her. I looked around and spotted a banana. I set Elinor down on the ground. I didn't have any small soft baby spoons, but I figured she might be able to use her hands.

I put the banana on a plate and smashed it. Then I picked Elinor up along with the plate and walked back to the dining room. The whole way there she kept babbling and I could tell she was getting a little fussy. Hopefully this will be good enough for now.

I sat down with Elinor in my lap and put her plate in front of her. I showed her how to eat it, and she started eating it. I looked around the table and noticed everyone observing Elinor. I looked back down to see if she liked it. It looked like she did.

Hendrix suddenly broke my concentration that was on Elinor and said "you can go to the store tomorrow and get anything you need for her and yourself."

I was surprised at this. I knew I probably wouldn't buy myself anything, but I would definitely get Elinor the things she needed.

"Thank you." I replied. He nodded and went back to staring at Elinor eating.

When dinner was done, Elinor was a mess. She needed a bath. I took her upstairs and went into the bathroom. I put her on the floor while I ran her the bath. Once the bath was to where it needed to be, and the right temperature, I picked Elinor up, stripped off her clothes, then put her in the bath.

She sat there splashing away. It was moments like these where I was most happy. I had been told that I was a failure and broken since we left all those years ago, that I believed it. I still do, but it's easier not to think about these types of things when you're busy caring for another person. I still do have nightmares though. And, I haven't fully coped with everything yet.

A knock on the bathroom door broke me out of my thoughts.

"Come in" I replied.

Hendrix walked in and said "there's someone at the door who wants to see you."

This made me curious and a bit suspicious. I didn't know of anyone who would want to come and see me personally.

I finished washing up Elinor, got her ready for bed, then went downstairs to the front door with her on my hip.

I opened the door and who I saw standing there, terrified me.

I should not have opened the door.