020 Still Dizzy

CHAPTER 020

CHAPTER 020. STILL DIZZY

LAURIE HAD NEVER BEEN SO EXCITED TO BE BACK AT THE LOADING DOCK BEHIND THE MALL.

A pleased sigh escaped past Laurie's lips as the feeling of the crisp July air washed over her face. Although the breeze wasn't as cool as it would have been during the fall and winter months, the drop in temperature after being stuck in an underground base for however long was significant enough for her to appreciate it regardless. She missed it, plain and simple.

Steve grabbed her hand and held it above her head and she twirled, excitement radiating between the two of them because they were finally out of that hellhole. It was riveting, to say the least. She could hear the distant voices of her friends nagging for them to stop messing around and asking for the whereabouts of Steve's car - Dustin had decided they could just hide out in there until the next bus arrived - but Laurie wasn't really listening, and neither was Steve.

They were like kids at Disneyland, pure wholesome joy pouring out of one of them and fuelling the other tenfold. Their grins were wide and their laughter was unapologetically loud and for a split second, Laurie forgot about the Russians altogether.

At some point, Laurie became incredibly dizzy whilst spinning and she tripped over her own feet. She yelped in anticipation, but ultimately did nothing to prevent the impending fall because she decided it'd be easier that way. Steve, although momentarily distracted by something Erica had said, noticed almost immediately and caught her before she fell to the concrete. He stumbled too and the pair grasped at one another for stability. Their laughter all consumed them the second their eyes met.

It felt like she was in heaven because of the way he looked at her.

Well, that was until a group of Russian guards came bounding over from the gate between the loading dock and the parking lot. Laurie barely had the chance to register what they were shouting at them, their accents thick much like the guards down in the underground base and her eyes only seemed to be able to focus on the guns holstered to their hips - the guns they were actively reaching for. Dustin, Robin and Erica were quick to yank Laurie and Steve apart and pulled them towards a side door that lead to the back hallways of the mall.