019 Escape

CHAPTER 019

CHAPTER 019. ESCAPE

"OH, JESUS CHRIST! SLOW DOWN, MAN!"

Being crammed into the back of a dorky-looking cart that Dustin, Robin, and Erica had hijacked was the last thing Steve wanted to be doing right now. It's uncomfortable, for starters, his spine banging against the metal walls and the sides of his hips keep colliding with Laurie's every time Dustin swerves too harshly around a corner. He's certain by the time they reach the elevator that Laurie's going to be more bruise than girl, much like him.

And, in case it wasn't obvious, he likes spending time with Laurie. Alone. Not with two annoying kids and her best friend breathing down his neck. Sure, maybe the past few days are a bit blurry in the foggy mist he calls his brain, but he's pretty sure Laurie told him she likes him before the Russians interrupted and gave them that weird blue juice.

Steve really hopes Laurie meant what she said. He hopes she did because he meant it, too.

"This is definitely not the speed limit, Henderson!" Laurie shouts over the loud alarm blasting throughout the seemingly endless passageway that feels all too familiar. "Robin, tell him to slow down!"

Robin is sat in the passenger seat, - why she let Dustin be the one to drive is a question Steve can't be bothered to ask - tightly gripping onto the dash with one hand while the other holds the Sinclair girl in her lap. Robin moves her gaze back to her best friend, momentarily eyeing Steve like he's some kind of animal in a zoo attraction. "What is up with you two?"

"What's up with you?!" Steve cries out, throwing his hands up in the air when he feels a strange rush of excitement course through his veins. Whatever those Russians gave him works goddamn wonders and Steve would pay anything to have it again. He should ask his metalhead dealer from the trailer park if he has some later.

"What d'ya mean, Rob?" Laurie mumbles, narrowing her eyes as she peers through the iron grate between them. She links her fingers through the gaps of the metal bars and whines, impatient as ever. "Robin,"