016 Turn Right & Run

CHAPTER 016

CHAPTER 016. TURN RIGHT & RUN

(WARNING: Brief mention of a male guard slapping Laurie)

THIS ISN'T REAL.

Robin's frantic and borderline incoherent babbling lead the group to follow her up the stairwell and finding purchase just before a door situated at the top. They naturally gravitated towards the flashing beams of light leaking through the large windows to their left, and they peer inside to reveal another room; one filled to the brink with loitering scientists who are looking back and forth at the large array of clipboards scattered across the benches in front of them.

Although Laurie desperately wishes she could sneakily grab one of their papers and find a way to translate what is apparently so important on them, her heart feels like it's in her throat when she moves her gaze to the source of the light that peaked Robin's interest to begin with.

The girl is quick to shield her face from the sudden flash of blue light as the group erupt in unprepared gasps. She can hear Steve and Dustin muttering beside her, and Erica and Robin curse under their breaths. After a few seconds, Laurie manages to crack her eyes open to peer back through the window, eyes growing wider and wider at the sight in front of her.

There's a large weapon ahead, placed between long stretches of grated metal flooring where soldiers in red hazmat suits are congregating. Sparks of electric currants fly between hinges and Laurie is almost certain the suits the Russians are wearing won't protect them from jack. The soldiers are placing the acidic green goo into the sides of the weapon, in turn causing the beam shooting out of the machine to shine bigger and brighter.

Lauries mouth feels dry from begin left dropped open and her eyes start to sting because she's afraid that one second of vulnerability might cause her her life. Whatever the hell this is, whatever the Russians are doing with that laser and the acidic goo is nothing like what she thought they were here for and that's not how this was supposed to go.