003 Tammy

CHAPTER 003

CHAPTER 003. TAMMY

     SHE COULDN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT HIM.

It had been about week or so since Laurie barged in on Steve after her failed interview at Sam Goody's, and she hasn't been able to think straight. He called her cute, she knows that for sure, but she's still yet to unpack if he even meant it or not. Robin said he was horrible at flirting, but whatever he was doing on that day worked, because now she can't even go five minutes without glancing over at him.

Laurie has been coming to visit Robin at work a lot more often, spending most of her days in the employees room eating the ice cream Steve smuggled her — without Robin knowing, of course — or sat on the counter reading the latest Cosmo Magazine. Mostly because she honestly has nothing else to do with her time since she decided to take a break from the job applications.

     It's not like she minds, anyways. Laurie loves seeing her best friend and enjoys being in her company above all else, plus, getting to see Steve in his cute sailor uniform is always a bonus.

She'd be a liar to say it didn't scare her, though. The thought that her unrequited feelings are back in full swing. See, the last time she had these feelings, it wasn't that much of a bother. Steve barely even noticed her back then. But now? They talk almost everyday, and she's finding it hard to navigate the overarching thought that Steve Harrington might actually have an interest in her.

From the conversations her and Steve have had while Robin was manning the front counter, they've come to realise they have quite a few things in common. Like how they secretly adore Kenny Loggins, or how they both despise Halloween, or how they can't understand why Robin steadily refuses to enjoy USS Butterscotch ice cream.

Being somewhat friends with Steve Harrington is different, obviously, but he's nice company. He's funny, and he actually listens. Which is honestly nothing too crazy, in an attractive 19 year old guy, it's a surprisingly rare trait to see. But Laurie doesn't know how much longer she can pretend like her feelings for him aren't growing more and more by the second.