Chapter Six

"Come in, gorgeous. And close the door behind you."

Refusing to let my mind slip from the task at hand, I pushed the door open and slowly stepped inside, letting my hand linger on the knob.

"The door, Rachel."

Caleb stood across the room, his hip cocked to brace against the side of his desk. His arms were crossed tight over his chest, leaving the muscles of his biceps to strain against the fabric of his suit jacket. The shirt he wore beneath was a soft violet—my favorite color—and I couldn't help but wonder if I wore that one as I had the other this morning, maybe it would drape over my body the same, tickling my skin where it flowed from being entirely too large.

Fuck, it smelled good, I admitted, picturing it tossed over the bottom corner of my bed where I'd left it an hour prior.

Thankfully, Leah hadn't asked questions about the owner of the shirt when she'd showed up, only gave me the side-eye in assuming I'd slept with them and stolen it on my way out. I'd gotten the third degree of not answering my phone for her and letting her presume my death or kidnapping, but I was still thankful as hell that she'd walked in when she had this morning. I would've been screwed getting to campus without a phone to order an Uber. And there was no way in hell I was walking with the pounding that had only barely begun to subside in my brain.

"Rachel, are you going to continue to be hard of hearing while working here? That's two days in a row now. I believe I asked you to shut the door."

The irritation in his voice was impossible to miss. I crossed my arms over my chest and narrowed my lids into a glare, mocking his stance from my place by the door. "Actually, Caleb, you didn't ask me anything. You ordered me to do it. Domineering isn't a good look on you, you know. You're acting like a dick. And frankly, I don't like it."

He lowered his head and his shoulders lifted with a singular laugh. Pushing away from the desk, he took long, slow steps towards me, stopping close enough that the heat of his body wrapped around mine. It was intoxicating. He was intoxicating. And my body had done nothing but betray me the last twenty-four hours in his wake.

Caleb cleared his throat and leaned forward, brushing his chest against my shoulder and letting it rest against my skin there while his hand pushed the door closed. With silence in the room, the soft and agonizingly slow click from the door's latch made me flinch. I saw the corner of Caleb's mouth lift up in a knowing grin in my peripheral vision, the cocky bastard.

"See," his head descended to hover just by my ear. His lips moved again, the soft skin there and his breath tickling me. "I think you do, Rachel. I think you like it a lot. It's why you're so angry."

I glowered at his assumption—not that he was wrong. My body reminded me of that fact thoroughly. My knees threatened to buckle, and my core tightened in desire, Caleb's proximity enough to have my pussy weeping to be touched.

He was right. Which only made me angrier.

I shoved against his chest and attempted a step back, but his arms immediately encircled my waist and jerked me into the curvature of his body, leaving no space for me to run.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?"

I felt the bulge in his pants begin to press against my stomach and I tensed, unsuccessfully willing my thoughts from diving deep into the gutter.

"I could ask you the same question, you know. Showing up in my office after stealing my belongings this morning. I'd ask if you brought them back, but you came here empty handed."

I tried to wiggle back to look up at him with the glare in my eyes, but his grip was too strong. I huffed. "I stole your belongings? I had no keys to get into my hall and no phone to call for a ride this morning! And to be clear, the only reason I took your shirt and shoes was because you decided to put me to bed naked last night. Which I should have you arrested for, so—"