22. Figured it out?

Začať od začiatku

In a swift motion, Dante scooped Ava into his arms, his touch soothing as he gently rubbed her back, rocking her back and forth to alleviate her tears. The tenderness in his actions shattered my heart into countless pieces, an ache of longing washing over me.

Not stopping at Ava, Dante then reached out for Aiden, embracing both of my babies by his side. My heart swelled with conflicting emotions—gratitude for their father's care and concern, and a bittersweet ache for the time lost and the hidden truths that weighed heavily upon my shoulders.

Aiden's innocent eyes met Dante's gaze, filled with worry and a longing for answers. His question hung in the air, seeking reassurance and a glimmer of hope. "Will you help us find Momma?" he inquired, his voice laced with a mix of vulnerability, his concern extending to his sister.

My instincts screamed for me to intervene, to reveal myself as their mother and join them in their embrace. But fear held me captive, knowing that unveiling my identity would unravel a complex web of secrets and potentially jeopardize their life. I simple couldn't.

Damn you, Mavis!

I found myself torn between the desire to witness their blossoming bond and the need to protect them from the complications that lay ahead.

Dante's response echoed through the air, capturing the undivided attention of both twins. "Of course, I will help you find your parents, but under one condition," he declared, his words held with a mix of authority and warmth, causing my two young babies to perk up with anticipation.

Curiosity swirled within me, wondering what condition Dante would ask as I waited with bated breath.

"What izzit?" Ava pouted, her adorable little face scrunching up in curiosity. To my surprise, Dante leaned in and planted a tender kiss on her cheek, unable to resist the overwhelming affection he felt for his daughter.

The sight was nothing short of heartwarming, as he cradled her gently against his chest, enveloping her in a warm embrace.

Dante's actions spoke volumes about his deep desire to make them feel at ease, to alleviate any traces of sadness or fear that might linger within their innocent hearts.

It was evident that he possessed an ability to connect with them, fostering a sense of trust and comfort that would be hard to achieve with mere strangers.

Dante spoke up, his voice filled with sincerity and kindness. "I'll help you find your parents if you both accept my ice cream and promise not to be sad anymore." As his words sank in, I observed their eyes lighting up with joy and anticipation, blissfully unaware that the man holding them was their own father.

"Okay!" they chimed in unison, their voices brimming with excitement. 

Setting aside my own emotions, I watched as Dante carefully placed them back on the ground, his attention shifting to a small mini fridge nestled in the room. With a sense of care, he retrieved a jar of ice cream.

My heart swelled with emotion as Dante skillfully scooped two spoons of ice cream into plastic cups, offering them to Ava and Aiden. Their faces lit up with pure delight and happiness.

The scene unfolding before me was both heartwarming and breathtaking, evoking a surge of overwhelming emotions that I didn't even realize were welling up inside me. So many emotions!

Tears cascaded down my cheeks, a proof to the powerful impact of witnessing a father's love and the formation of an unbreakable bond.

"Thank you!" They both yelled in unionism before digging in.

I observed as Dante cradled Ava in his arms, and an overwhelming urge came over me to be the one to feed her.

As Dante continued to engage with them, his voice filled with genuine curiosity. "What are your parents' names?" he asked, unknowingly striking a chord deep within me, causing my heart to race even faster, and my eyes widened in anticipation of their response.