Chapter 16 ~ Had to be done

Start from the beginning

"But-"

Zion waved a hand at one of his main betas, "take the girl and get her treated by another doctor," he shot a warning glance at the man, "Keep your family drama behind doors and we wouldn't have to interfere in the matter. Refrain from killing either one of them."

The doctor hastily bowed his head, "Thank you, Alpha."

Zion waved his hand dismissively, "don't thank me. I'm just thinking of our pack's progress," then he raised his voice and addressed everyone around us, "don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to go against the rules of our pack. However, there are some cases where we must try to get along with our own in order to get stronger. In regards to breaking the pack's rules, we, as leaders, always take responsibility for our actions. Starr."

I looked up at him expectantly then flinched when I saw his hand swinging towards my face. I stumbled slightly at the force behind the slap, a whimper forcing its way pass my lips as my hand came up to caress my throbbing cheek. Tears gathered in my eyes as I bowed my head, confused.

I only did what he told me to do. Why did he hit me?

"My mate overstepped her boundaries by poking herself into your life. I apologize on her behalf," he hooked his arm around my waist and tugged me into his side, nodding his head at the man, "we'll take our leave now."

Then he dragged me off behind him and back to the pack house, Niah trailing cautiously behind us.

I wiped a tear that slid down my face and tried to stop myself from sniffling. My cheeks stung and my heart was beating a mile away in fear. This was the first time Zion had hit me in a while outside of our training. I had finally gotten accustomed to being around him and my fear had almost vanished. However, now it was back. Not as strong as before but strong nonetheless... however I was also confused. I couldn't understand what I did wrong.

I let him lead me into the office and watched through teary eyes as he sat in his office chair then pulled me down to sit on his lap, resting his head on my shoulders.

"Why?" I murmured.

Zion sighed and placed a kiss against my neck, "I'm sorry but I needed to use you if I wanted to resolve that problem without facing criticism from the pack. It had to be done."

My lips tugged down into a frown as I turned to face him, "why didn't you just tell me?"

"It was better that you not know."

My frown deepened, "why? I don't think me stepping up deserved punishment though?"

"It was because his authority was being questioned," Niah commented from her place sprawled out on the sofa. She raised an eyebrow at us, "He questioned Zion's dominance in your relationship and Zion had to make sure that everyone knew that he was still in control. He just didn't want to outright admit it. Pfft... men and their pride."

Zion growled, "enough."

Niah shrugged her shoulders but kept her mouth shut.

I turned my gaze back to Zion warily, "is that why? Because I made it look like I was the Alpha in our relationship?"

"Technically, you are an Alpha. Zion just has a weird superiority complex."

"T'niah!" He snapped.

I rubbed his arm gently and eased my frown slightly, despite the knots that my stomach was in at the moment. My wolf brooded inside me at the thought of our mate humiliating us in public but she refused to voice her displeasure. We didn't like what happened earlier... but there was nothing we could do.

"Calm down," I murmured, resting my head against his chest and allowing him to pull me closer to bury his nose in my hair, "I'm sorry. I'll try to limit my actions next time."

Zion hummed and placed a kiss on my head, "that'd be for the best."

"Are you sure you're not an omega in an Alpha's body?" Niah mused at me.

Zion rolled his eyes and straightened up, "Did anything happen while I was gone?"

"We were just discussing that before the commotion actually. I'll let Starr explain it to you," Niah nodded at me.

I frowned as I voiced my thoughts, "our medical supplies are running out again. We'll need more soon."

"Mmm then we can just take some from another pack."

I shook my head, "we need to stop expanding for now. Not only do we not have enough manpower to occupy our large territory, we also need to be more cautious. We can't go out offending the entire continent if we're not strong enough to contend against it yet."

Zion sighed, "then what do you suggest? How else are we to get the supplies we need?"

"Through the black market of course," I declared.

"The black market?" Niah asked in confusion.

I nodded my head, "yeah the black market. As a rogue pack you probably haven't heard about it but the black market is a system of illegal trading throughout all of the major kingdoms. It's also a neutral ground for both werewolves and humans alike so we don't have to worry about that. Since it's illegal though, most packs try to avoid it as much as possible because once caught, their pack will be given harsh penalties. I'm only considering this option now because our pack isn't legal in the first place so the black market is perfect for us."

"So how do we get in contact with them? If they're illegal, their businesses are probably carried out secretly," Zion asked.

I hesitated slightly before admitting it, "if we ask my father, he should be able to connect us to someone on the inside. He's called the dealer. He smuggles goods outside of the human and werewolf kingdom."

Zion raised an eyebrow at me, "your pack was involved in black market trading?"

I shrugged sheepishly, "my father was involved, not our pack."

He nodded and glanced over at Niah, "go contact her father and ask him to give us the dealer's contact information," then he nuzzled my neck gently, "Let's go for a run then head home."

I nodded in agreement and allowed him to tug me out of the pack house and towards the forest.

☆☆☆

Hi lovelies,

I was so preoccupied with my birthday that I almost forgot to update but I'm so excited since the story is finally about to hit the main story line! I can't wait! Leave a like and tell me what you think of the story so far! Feedback is always welcomed.

Enjoy your day! I know I will😉

🥀Sheemie🥀

Freeing Starr✔️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara