Chapter 17 ~ Betrayal

Bliss.

That was the emotion I was feeling at the moment as I buried myself beneath the water and relaxed in the bathtub. The scent of lavender caressed my nose as I played with the foam through my fingertips.

This was the most relaxed I've felt in a long time. I didn't have to worry about anything, and everything was going smoothly. Zion was preparing to go on another trip to Goddess knows where. He never disclosed that information to me.

I spent a good 20 minutes just soaking there in the tub and finally got out after my skin began to wrinkle. I wrapped myself in a robe and tied my hair up into a bun then trudged downstairs with food on my mind. I was hungry.

I took a turn down the hallway and froze when I saw the door at the end open as Zion came out of it. I couldn't see anything inside but a slight whimper caused me to pause as unease settled in me.

"Is someone in there?" I asked as I approached Zion.

He froze and looked up at me, his expression flashing briefly before he closed the door and locked it with a set of keys.

My unease grew. As I got closer to him, I sniffed the air and tensed when the sent of another female hit me. My heart trembled.

"What's inside that door?" I asked again.

Zion's unreadable eyes stared at me intensely before he shook his head and walked pass me. I quickly followed behind him.

"It's nothing for you to be concerned about."

"Zion, as your mate, I hope you're not cheating on me," I whimpered.

Zion waved his hand dismissively, "it's not like that. You're this pack's Luna and that position won't ever change."

That wasn't an answer.

"So why is there a female behind that door? You reek of her scent."

"Don't worry yourself about it. She's just a prisoner."

"Why is there a prisoner in our home?"

"Enough with the questions Starr."

"These are not hard questions, Zion. I need to know who is in my home and wh-"

"I said ENOUGH!" He swung around and raised his hand as if prepared to strike me and I instinctively flinched away and raised my hands to cover my face, my eyes closed tight.

When the hit didn't come, I peeked up to find that he was running a tired hand down his face.

I dropped my eyes to the ground and whispered, "I'm sorry... I overstepped my boundaries... but please... I just want to know that I'm the only one you're seeing..."

Zion sighed and pulled me into him, burying his face into my hair and inhaling my scent. I found pleasure in the fact that he relaxed after doing so. "You're the only one I want to be with. You don't have to worry about anyone else."

My heart grew heavier at his words and I could feel the tears wanting to show themselves but I forced it all down and squeezed out a smile, pretending that I believed his words... pretending that I was fine.

I pulled back slightly and looked up at him, meeting his eyes that swirled with an emotion I couldn't quite place. I tilted my head up and closed my eyes, pressing my lips against his.

The scent of the female grew stronger and my stomach curled in disgust, but I held onto him as if my life depended on it and quite frankly it did... because if Zion were to leave me... I'd have nowhere to go and the thought of going back to my father had my heart clenching in fear.