Chapter Ten: Holly Moves Out

Chapter Ten

Holly Moves Out 

"Holly, no, you don't have to move out," Mom was shouting from the other room. "You have to talk some sense into her Neil. Holly, just talk to us-"

"I'm leaving and that's it!" Holly shouted back from the other side of her room. "You'll need my room!"

"Holly, no! Look, I have your father on the phone-"

"I'm moving out Dad!" Holly called back through the door.

"Come on Holly! We're not even sure yet!" I shouted through the door. "Besides where will you go?!"

"Holly!" Mom shouted, joining me on the other side. I heard Dad screaming on the other end as well. I could only make out several words, but most of it I couldn't understand. 

Holly opened the door, bending her head so we couldn't see her face. I knew she was getting worse though. She grabbed one of her arms through her sleeves. She looked like she was trying to calm herself down. "Look, you'll need the room, and I've been planning. I'm moving into an apartment that a friend of mine was moving out of. He's moving into a new house with his fiance and I'll be in the apartment."

"You didn't bother to tell me any of this?" Mom shouted, her voice raising. "Holly, you can't. What if the test was wrong? What if I'm not..." Her voice trailed off, as if she couldn't continue. She couldn't admit it that she could have been pregnant. My head was spinning over what had just happened. 

I had looked down to see the result had been positive, Mom had been able to tell by my expression what it had said. Holly had overheard and then decided that she was going to be moving out. Through all the chaos Mom had been able to call Dad and we were all trying to convince Holly not to move out now. 

"Sorry," Holly shrugged. "But come on, I'm almost twenty-one, I want to move out. Live on my own. Spread my wings and all of that."

For some reason I think she actually meant that literally. Holly sighed, and looked at all of us - even giving Mom's cell phone a turn. "Holly, please," Mom said.

"I have to call Frank," she said simply. She walked back into the room. Mom and I just exchanged glances, knowing that there was no changing her mind now.

Within five hours Holly had already got a pick-up truck over, which carried her bed, desk, and various other items. Her clothing was carried in several bags. For the first time I realized how little Holly actually had. I walked up toward the driver's seat of the pick-up, to see who exactly was driving.

Inside was a young boy, about Holly's age. He looked at me, and his eyes widened. "You're the Ice Dragon, aren't you?"

"You're one of the people who serve us, like Mr. Lee, aren't you?" I asked, looking at him.

"Yes," he nodded. "Mr. Lee is my father actually. Marcus Lee." He held out his hand for me to shake, which I did. "He told me all about the dragons. I'm still in training, so you'll have to excuse me for not knowing all of the facts yet."

"It's fine," I shrugged. "So, where exactly is Holly going?"

"An apartment building. The tenant is one of the Guardians as well. She's actually very nice," Marcus said. "A little cross if you get on her bad side, but she's nice enough. She's giving Holly a room for free. If you want, you can have a free room too." 

"Maybe later," I said, looking at the ground. I couldn't believe that this was the norm for us now. I wished that it wasn't.

Holly walked out, her hood over her head as normal. "Are you ready to go Fire Dragon?" Marcus asked, looking to my sister.

"Yes. If you wouldn't mind I would like to take my mother and sister with me. So they know where I will be staying. Then, if you would, drive them back," Holly ordered. Her voice was gentle or nice, rather harsh and direct. Ordering him about if he were a slave.

"Holly, don't be so rude to him," I scolded, looking at my older sister.

"No, it's fine Ice Dragon," Marcus assured. "I am supposed to be treated as such. I am a slave to you. I must do whatever you want me to do." I frowned, though he gave me a reassuring smile. I looked away. Holly opened the door to his pick-up. She pulled back the seat. I walked around and clambered in the back. 

Mom walked out. "Marcus has offered to drive us all to my new apartment," Holly said. Mom looked uncertain, but she followed anyways. She was probably still in shock from everything. She sat next to me, Holly sat shot gun, and the four of us set off. It was completely awkward as nobody dared to talk.

We drove halfway across town, until we were about ten minutes from the high school. We stopped. There were, in total, about ten apartments. It was two stories, five rooms on the bottom, five on top. Only one set of staircases.

We all clambered out of the car. A woman scuttled over toward us. She did a slight bow to Holly and I that Mom didn't notice. She had a sour scent about her, that made me want to crinkle my nose. I only just kept it back.

"You must be Holly, Frank told me about you," she said.

"Ms. Russel," she said. The woman nodded. She dug in her pocket for a moment. I took the time to look over her. She was a boney woman, probably in her sixties. She looked like she could be a crazy cat lady, the fur on her clothing helped to further my theory along. She had graying hair with just traces of brown. She sounded familiar. I had the feeling that she had been at our sacrificing. 

She pulled out a key and handed it to Holly. "Room ten. Second floor, farthest room from the stairs." Holly nodded, and took the keys. Ms. Russel turned, and started walking away. Holly led us toward the room. We all walked in, trying to figure out what was inside. 

Holly opened the door. It was dark, musty, and smelt like wet cat. There were three rooms in the entire apartment, and it was cramped as well. A small kitchen/living room area was the first room that anyone would enter when stepping inside. Forward were two doors. The one on the left led to the bathroom, and the other led to the bedroom. Which barely had enough room for two people to stand in at a time.

Holly nodded. "So, are you certain?" Mom asked. 

Holly only nodded. "I like this place. It's small, I don't know that many people after all."

"No raging parties in here, that's for sure," I muttered sarcastically. Holly sent me a glance, but kept silent. We spent the rest of the afternoon moving all of Holly's stuff inside. Which wasn't very much. Holly looked over the place, when I moved closer I saw just the barest smile against her face. She was happy.

"Just know that you can come home anytime," Mom said, looking at Holly carefully. Holly nodded once again. 

"I'll be fine, I'm sure," Holly said. "Same thing goes for the both of you. Especially you Jodi. Visit whenever."

I nodded. On the ride back Mom sat shot gun, and I was still in the back. When we got home, I went straight to Holly's room. It was entirely empty. The carpet still had dents where her furniture had been. 

A creak from behind told me that Mom had followed. "What if you are pregnant Mom?" I asked. "When will you know for sure?"

"I'm going to make an appointment for the doctor's tomorrow. With all the excitement I forgot to."

"Can I come?" My voice was childlike. I couldn't help it, everything was changing so fast.

"If you would like," Mom said. She walked away. Leaving me alone in an empty room.

[][][][][][][][][][]

I realize this chapter was a little rushed, but I couldn't think of what to write really. Sorry if it's a little short. Hope everyone enjoys it anyways.

Next Chapter: Dragons Kin