"Griffin..." she whispered finally, "Why did you do it?"

He looked in her direction and, for a moment, Adelaide thought he was looking at something completely different before his gaze finally settled on her. He offered her a small smile.

"Because I love getting shot at," he said and she gave him a look.

"Griffin," she said. He managed a quiet chuckle.

"What other reason would I take a bullet for you, Adelaide?" he said, "I did it because you're my sister. And in that moment, that's all I really knew for sure."

Adelaide didn't know what to say. She swallowed, unable to look away from his eyes. That was really the first time he'd accepted her as his sister. It felt...nice. She hadn't realized how much she needed to hear that all this time. He was the only family she had left from her past. As annoying as he was, she had to admit that she needed him.

"Your turn. If you're here because you feel guilty I took the bullet for you, I'm fine. I know you still don't trust me and I really haven't given you much reason to, but...I need to know why you're here right now," he said.

"Look, I'm sorry, alright?" Griffin said.

"I'm sorry doesn't make up for trying to kill my family," she snapped, finally looking up at him, "You said this was a waste of time so what the hell were you trying to do out there?"

"I was saving your life," he argued.

"Why?" she pressed, "What happens to me doesn't make a difference to you."

"Maybe it does," he shot back, "Maybe it would make a difference to me if you died."

"Maybe..." she said quietly, her voice small, "Maybe it would make a difference to me if you died. I had to make sure you were okay."

"Because you're still furious and it's really hard to yell at someone from beyond the grave?" he said, raising his eyebrow. She glared at him.

"Don't make me say it," she muttered, feeling her face heating up from embarrassment. He seemed to be really enjoying this. Maybe that's why he got shot. Just to hold this moment over her head for the rest of her life. She certainly wouldn't put it past him. He'd done crazier things before for stupider stuff.

"I've got a broken arm and a bullet wound here," he said, "Unless you smuggled more drugs in here, yes, I want you to say it."

She sighed heavily. He really was annoying.

"I am here because...because I...cause I...because I care about you and I really don't want you to die. Not because I'm still mad at you, but because you're my brother. You're my family and I couldn't let you die before we got a chance to even know each other. There. Happy?" she said. She was sure her face was as red as a strawberry. Griffin smiled.

"So does that mean you trust me again?" he asked.

"Trust you not to kill my family?" she asked and then sighed. "Maybe."

"I can work with maybe," he said.

"You're insufferable," she muttered, glaring at him again. His smile widened.

"I try," he said and then lowered his voice, "Thanks for being here." She let out a quiet sigh, settling for a small smile herself.

"Thanks for taking the bullet for me," she said quietly.

"That's twice I've saved your life now," he said, "I'm gonna want reimbursement soon."

"What, you want me to get shot for you just so we're even?" she muttered with a frown. Griffin grinned.