A Toronto on London

ADITHYA'S POV

It was an early morning in the city of London, and the city was covered in a thick layer of clouds that seemed to be competing with the sun for dominance. A light rain was falling from the sky, leaving a faint sheen on the deserted streets of the British capital.

As I drove my favorite sports car down the road, a melodious love song wafted through the speakers of my car stereo, adding to the dreamy atmosphere of the moment. The cool breeze blowing in from the window only helped to enhance the romantic aura further.

But the situation, though seemingly romantic, was far from it.

A few minutes earlier, I had been rudely awakened by the incessant ringing of my phone. Groggily, I reached for it, realizing it was Ajay, my childhood friend, on the other end. He had a knack for bad timing.

"What do you want, Ajay?" I grumbled.

"Hey, Adithya, guess what? Your grandfather is arriving in London today!" he said with mischief dripping from his voice.

I bolted upright in bed, panic washing over me. How could I forget about Grandfather's visit from India? I had been so caught up in my own life lately. "You've got to be kidding me, Ajay!"

He chuckled. "Nope, and you better get ready. We're going to pick him up together."

I grumbled some more but begrudgingly agreed. Ajay had a way of irritating me into doing things.

Soon, we were both in my car, driving towards the airport. Ajay was excited, but I was a bundle of nerves. My grandfather was a stern man, not one for extravagant displays of affection. We reached the airport, and there he stood, patiently waiting. He looked just as I remembered him - dignified and imposing. A small smile appeared on his lips when he saw me.

"How are you, Adi?" My grandfather inquired, a warm smile creasing his weathered face.

"I'm fine, Grandpa. But please, don't call me Adi," I gently replied, while also inquiring about his health, eager to catch up. I didn't like it when someone called me "Adi" because my parents used to call me that. But when they died, "Adi" died with them. I was Adithya, a man who felt no emotions.

Ajay, ever the exuberant soul, couldn't contain his excitement and embraced Grandpa tightly. In response, Grandpa's gnarled hand found its way to Ajay's back, patting it affectionately.

During the car ride to my penthouse, Grandfather got straight to business. He was here to inspect the well-being of our family company, a business empire I had recently taken over. I braced myself for his disapproval, but surprisingly, he praised my efforts, though not excessively.

We went to my penthouse, freshened up, and had breakfast there. Grandfather asked about my whereabouts and behavior to Mrs.Ragini Rathore,My house keeper. She mentioned that I was too engrossed in work and neglected other aspects of life. Then we went to the head office of Anand Industries.

Once we arrived at the head office, we each retreated to our designated spaces. Grandfather went to his temporary office to review company documents. I, on the other hand, headed to my office chamber to catch up on my own work.

As I was engrossed in reviewing a file, Grandfather entered my chamber. He always had impeccable timing. Without preamble, he started dispensing advice about life and business. I nodded along, not wanting to disrespect him.

"Inspect the hotel construction."

"Yes."

"Remove clause seven from the contract."