"It can't be too frightening if you live there." Teresa added. "You of all people would make a vampire's  castle welcoming." She carried a bag of seeds from her garden. I smiled touched and told her she was welcome to plant the seeds in our garden. "You won't have to worry about crows eating them." 

"Thank you." She replied graciously.  "You're welcome." I nodded and rode up to the front where Alucard and Greta led the way.

Alucard was starting to open up to her. I worried he'd remain silent through the whole journey and I was pleasantly surprised to overhear a small conversation about  castle's fortifications and the enhanced magical barrier surrounding it. "We were just talking about you." Greta said.

"Really?" I paced the unicorn up next to her. "You haven't been telling her anything bad have you?" I smirked cocking my brow at Alucard.

"About you? That would be impossible." Alucard responded quietly.  "How are you faring?"
"I'm okay." I sighed. "I just want to get everyone home and be done with traveling through this creepy forest."

"Don't we all?" Greta agreed.

"At least we're moving before they're given a chance to make their next move." I said still uneased. I sure hope so.
"And what are the chances of making it to your castle before we're spotted and those fresh orders are given?" Greta asked.

"Oh somewhere between slim and none. I imagine." Saint Germain answered drearily.

"Nobody asked you." I snapped at him.

"When I want to hear from you I'll throw a coin in your begging bowl." Greta added in sharply. The alchemist lowered his head and stepped back to walk among the rest of the group. We gave each other a quick smirk when Greta's eyes glued onto the unicorn whose horn shone from the light of the moon

" I know it's a lot to take in."  I stroked the unicorn's neck. "Magic still exists in the world. Not just the dark demonic type, but the good as well. The magic that comes from nature."

"I'm well aware." Greta answered quietly. "I've lived out here my whole life. We live next to the spirits of wood and stream, the things that come with the storm and the smell of magic. You smell of it, so does Alucard."She darted a look at the alchemist. "He reeks of it."

"What does it smell like to you?" Asked Alucard. "On you, it's sweet like spices. On him, it's rotten. On her." Greta looked my way. "Its fresh and pure like snowmelt from the mountains."

" Yes, it's--it's rendered me quite deaf. I am but a scholar, madam. The scent you detect are entirely down to Alucard having recently used soap , our charming Guardian having to ride a unicorn, and my having to fight your chickens for access to pond water."

"And losing." Greta snarked.

"And indeed losing." Saint Germain ironically puffed himself up like a flustered hen. "I am a man of books. Your earthy peasant ways are quite beyond me. My skills lie in other directions."

"Pity. I was hoping you were good with a knife."

"Maybe you can charm the monsters to death." I snickered. The unicorn nickered in agreement.

"My dear, you are sharp of tongue as you are pure of heart!" Saint Germain commented about to pat the unicorn on his flank.
" Touch him and he'll kick a hole in your chest!" I warned, seeing the unicorn lift his hind hoof.

He quickly drew away his hand and backed up. "Don't you know anything about unicorns?" I rolled my eyes. "You can't just go up to one  and pet it  like a child's pony." The unicorn stomped in emphasis.