She doesn't like the movement of the train, the slight way that things shift with every curve. The way that she can faintly hear the wheels on the tracks. The way that there are people outside of her room that continue to be loud throughout the night.

Sleeping on a train isn't something that comes naturally to Mary, but she does it anyway. Even if it is just a way to pass the time.

~

Her alarm goes off right at 6:15. Grumbling, she forces her eyes open. Mary stares at the ceiling of the sleeper car for a moment, regretting her decision to sleep so late. Regretting her decision to set her alarm so early. Begrudgingly, she gets up, even when her body begs her to crawl back into the uncomfortable bed.

She slept poorly, but that was to be expected from the train ride. She knows that there is a chance for her to nap later in the day when she finally returns home. It is just a matter of getting there, and hoping that her mother lets her sleep.

Mary pulls her luggage from the small storage space in the room. She is mentally going through what she had packed, trying to piece together an outfit before she even unzips the suitcase. Opening the bright yellow luggage, she finds the various pieces she was looking for, along with her cosmetics bag.

She starts with washing her face using the small, fold-up sink provided in her room, removing the night's grime. She couldn't even find it in her to grumble about the cold water, enjoying the way that it wakes her up a little bit more.

The makeup that follows is simple, winged liner, mascara, and brow gel. Mary is at a point in her makeup journey where she doesn't like wearing foundation. She feels comfortable with the quality of her skin and doesn't want to cover up her plentiful freckles. She also usually finds it to be just a messy extra step.

She brushes out her long copper hair, finding the strands to be uncooperative today. Mary pulls the hair into two messy braids, deciding they are good enough for now. Even in braids, her hair falls nearly to her waist, which is becoming too much for her to maintain.

The outfit that Mary picked out is simple, all of the clothes that she had brought home for break were. The only plans she has is to sit in her room, so it does not matter what she looks like. Of course, she brought some nicer items in case her mother drags her to brunch or something, but ultimately, Mary doesn't care what she dresses like.

It is simply a pair of black leggings and a white baby tee layered under her favorite oversized mint green cardigan. She wears the same black winter boots she does throughout the season. Her jewelry is unchanged from the day before: small platinum hoops stacked in her lobes, a smattering of piercings in her cartilage, and a platinum locket.

There is an announcement made on the overhead. The train is set to arrive at the station on time and will be at the destination shortly. Mary takes this time to quickly text her brother Joshua, reminding him that he better be here on time.

She took the next fifteen minutes to repack all of her things, ensuring that none of her belongings would be left behind. Once everything is squarely put away either in the suitcase or in her bookbag, Mary feels like she can have a moment to relax and enjoy the last couple minutes before the train screeches into the station.

Mary never really got along with her older brother Joshua, but he has been her ride to and from the train station since he had gotten his license at sixteen. That has been nearly the entire time she has been attending Miss Maxwell's and has grown to begrudgingly accept the arrangement. Joshua is 20 years old and completely insufferable in the way that only older brothers can be. He is in his second year of a business degree at the college near their family home and has a sort of internship with their father. He is the heir after all, the one meant to take over the beta title whenever their father retires.