Chapter 7

Damon backed away so that the squad could do their thing. He probably shouldn't have acknowledged the mutual attraction. But he couldn't help himself. When she had told him her car was now a bomb, his heart skipped a beat.

Multiple beats.

And not in a good way. 

Now he messed it up. He watched Raelyn listen quietly to the orders of the bomb squad. One of them was under her car and the other was sitting in her driver's seat playing with the door.

Raelyn simply stood there, her black hair ruffling in the breeze.

After fifteen more minutes of work the bomb squad workers stood. "You're free to let go of the door."

Raelyn looked up at them, "You sure?"

"Yep, you're one hundred percent safe." Caleb told her.

Damon watched nervously as Raelyn pulled her hand away slowly. She backed away from the door, then let out a breath of air. "Thank you Jesus." He could say the same.

He approached her. "I'm willing to bet that your hand hurts."

Raelyn wiggled her fingers, "Yeah. The muscles are tight."

"I bet." Damon thanked the bomb squad for their help, then they packed up and drove out. He turned to Raelyn. "I'm glad you're safe." He would hug her, but he was afraid he wouldn't be able to let go.

Raelyn smiled, "Thanks. I'm glad I'm alive."

Damon laughed. "You should probably get home." He knew she was thinking about his earlier words and the sooner he could get out of Awkward Town, the better.

"Yeah. Grandma Jo is probably worried." Raelyn waved goodbye, flashed him a smile, and drove out.

Thank you Lord, for keeping her safe and sound.

~~~~~

Raelyn drove home still flustered by the bomb. And Damon's pronouncement of their attraction. His attraction. And hers, if she felt like she was going to admit it. And if it was time to admit things, she could say that her attraction to him was larger than she liked.

Her phone rang and she saw the screen light up with Damon's name. Her heart did a little pitter-patter as she answered it. "Hi?"

"I took the bomb to the CSI lab to check for prints. The squad deactivated it so you can check it out tomorrow."

Raelyn pulled to a stop at a light. "Okay great. Anything else?"

"To apologize."

"You seem to do that a lot." She noticed.

"Because around you, I mess up a lot."

"Sorta."

"I shouldn't have said that thing about...us." She heard him exhale slowly.

"It's okay." Raelyn pressed on the gas and her car accelerated. Should she apologize for not telling him more about her childhood? No, she had no reason to apologize. It was her life. She turned a corner and pulled into Grandma Jo's neighborhood. "Listen, Damon, I'm pulling into the driveway at Grandma Jo's. I should go."

Damon cleared his throat, "Sure. Have a good night. No dreaming about bombs, okay?"

Raelyn let out a humorless laugh. Dreaming about bombs was the least of her worries. "Okay."

"Oh, and Jake just let me know that next week there is a guy from the graduating class that can meet and talk with us. You should go."

Raelyn shut her car door, "Okay. You can come if you want."