Chapter 10

Damon looked over his shoulder and saw Raelyn chatting with Grace like old friends. He knew they would get along well. Technically, he had no doubts, Raelyn got along with everyone. It came natural to her. He had no doubt that she would get along with Jenna. And if her detective skills were what he knew them to be, she would know Jenna's whole backstory without asking a thing about it. Raelyn's attire consisted of nice skinny jeans and a deep forest green blouse. Her hair was straightened and her eyes, as usual, were on fire.

"Stop looking and get cooking." Hunter shoved him.

Damon returned his thoughts to Hunter and Aeden. Aeden stood on a lawn chair leaning over the grill so he could "help". As in, keep an eye on the food. The boy pointed to one of the hot dogs, "It's burning."

Damon's breath caught as Aeden's arm got way too close to the hot grill. Hunter's fatherly instincts were on point and he grabbed Aeden's arm and moved it quickly. "Careful bud."

Aeden took a step back. "Sorry."

Hunter bent down to his son's level, "It's okay. It was an accident. I just didn't want you to get hurt."

Damon heard the front door open. "Lesley?" Aeden asked after giving his dad a hug.

Hunter put the finished meat on a serving plate. "No, Matt and Jenna."

"Oh. Is Lesley coming?"

"Not tonight. Why don't you go say hi to them?"

"Okay." The boy climbed down from his chair and went inside to greet the newcomers.

Damon turned to Hunter, "Lesley is Dominic's daughter, right?" Dominic Wagner, Hunter's brother-in-law. 

"Yeah, she's only a week or two older than Aeden. He has another daughter now, too. Her name is Melanie."

Damon vaguely remembered hearing about it. "I think I remember that."

Hunter nodded, "Yeah, poor Dom. A house full of females."

Damon laughed, "Oh boy."

The sliding door opened and Damon's childhood friend, Matt Proger, stepped out on the deck. "Hi guys."

"Hi." Damon and Hunter said in unison.

"Sorry we're late. Jenna started freaking out because she didn't realize that Nicole was so close to her due date and so she started planning a bunch of stuff."

"Nicole's expecting?" Damon asked. It had been awhile since he had gone over to Hunter's place. He needed to get caught up on the Wagner family dynamics. The family was such a tight group, yet they were friends with so many people. If you were a friend with one sibling, you were a friend with all. Damon knew the family pretty well, considering Hunter was one of his best friends.

Hunter chuckled, "Twins."

Matt groaned, "I feel so bad for her. Childbirth is going to be rough."

Damon raised an eyebrow, "Twins? Do you know what gender?"

"I have no clue. They don't either. Blake wanted it to be a surprise. Nicole thought it was a good idea so they aren't going to know until they are born."

Damon listened quietly as Matt and Hunter continued to talk. He, Matt, Reed Fellers, Asher Willis, and Noah Garrison had been best friends in grade school. Once they graduated, they all went in separate ways but still kept in touch. Reed was a US Marshal, Matt a cop, Asher a detective for the FBI, and Noah went into professional football. Funny enough, Reed, Matt, and Asher all were great friends with a member of the Wagner family. He wasn't so sure about Noah. That was the main reason they all were able to connect more often. He hadn't seen much of Noah these days, but figured professional football life was busy. After college, when Damon first became a SWAT team member, did he meet Hunter and Hunter soon Grace, and Damon was introduced to the famous Wagner family.

"Earth to Damon?" Matt waved a hand in his face. "Hello? Food is ready."

"Sorry. I spaced out." Damon followed Hunter and Matt inside. Hunter helped his son carry the salad, because Aeden looked like he was about to drop it.

"It's been awhile." Matt clapped Damon on the back.

"It has. How's married life treating you?"

Matt's eyes twinkled, "I love it. I love her."

"Okay people. Have a seat." Grace announced. She sat down Aeden sitting between her and Hunter, with Faith on the other side of her. Damon smiled at Raelyn and pulled her chair out for her. She sat down and Damon did the same in his spot next to her. Matt and Jenna sat down next to each other as well.

"I'll pray." Hunter folded his hands, then looked at his children. "Pray?" Faith put her hands together and Aeden folded his and closed his eyes. Everyone bowed their heads. Damon reached for Raelyn's hand during the prayer. "Father, we come to you today for a night of food, family, and fun. We thank you for blessing us and loving us unconditionally. Please bless this food to our bodies. Amen."

A chorus of amens followed and Damon squeezed Raelyn's hand before letting go. "Mom, can I have a hot dog?" Aeden asked.

Grace was in the middle of handing the salad to Jenna, "But you told Dad you wanted a burger."

"I changed my mind."

"He can have my hot dog. A burger works for me." Raelyn offered.

Grace shook her head, "No, you don't have to."

"It's fine." She waved it off. "I was second guessing my choice anyways."

"Alright."

People started serving themselves, and soon the table was abuzz with clinking silverware, Faith's garbles, Aeden's chatter, and adult talk.

All of a sudden, Hunter's laughter echoed through the dining room. All heads turned to him.

Jenna cocked her head, "What's so funny?"

Hunter looked down at Aeden, "Aeden what did you just ask me?"

Aeden's innocent look surveyed the room. "I asked Daddy why all the girls here were so pretty."

Raelyn, Grace, and Jenna exchanged a look, then started laughing. Hard.

Matt put his hands up, "I don't understand what's so funny. The boy asked a good question. Jen is a beautiful angel. I don't understand how it is physically possible for her to be so gorgeous."

Jenna stopped laughing. "How do I respond to that?"

"Kiss him." Grace suggested with a smile.

"No!" Aeden cried. "Eww."

~~~~~

Raelyn helped Jenna clear the dishes when Grace had to change Faith's diaper. "I know you're going to say something about my past. Damon probably said something about it to you." Jenna wiped her hands on a dish towel.

Raelyn put some dishes in the dishwasher. "Actually I wasn't. I figured it was private and didn't want to tread where I'm not wanted."

"Oh."

Raelyn turned around to smile at her new friend. "Yeah."

A huge crash sounded in the dining room. Raelyn jumped.

It was Jenna's reaction that surprised her. Jenna jumped as well, but a small cry came from her mouth and her hands curled into fists. She slammed her eyes shut and tried to take deep breaths. It didn't work.

Raelyn didn't know what to do. Jenna obviously had gone through something awful. Raelyn used to freak out at loud noises because it was a trigger to her mom's yelling, but she had gotten over it. Jenna's trauma was either recent or she couldn't get over it. Before she could offer comfort to Jenna, Matt tore into the kitchen, worry palpable on his face.

He pulled Jenna into his arms. "Jen, are you okay?"

Raelyn heard nothing that suggested Jenna was crying. "I-I..." Jenna stammered.

Raelyn slipped quietly out of the kitchen to give the couple privacy and almost plowed into Damon's chest. "Sorry."

"It's fine."

She peered around him, "What happened?"

"Aeden dropped a plate on the floor." Damon stepped out of the way so Raelyn could see Hunter comforting Aeden, who was sobbing.