Chapter 6

They had settled on half pineapple for Raelyn and half all-meat for Damon. He still didn't understand how any human could ever live with themselves after putting pineapple on pizza.

Raelyn sure seemed fine with it. "You really despise the idea of pineapple on pizza, don't you? You've done nothing but gape at me everytime I take a bite."

Damon grinned, "It's disgusting."

Raelyn ate a piece with pineapple on it, "Mhm. So good."

He pretended to gag.

Raelyn laughed. "Have you ever tried it?"

"When I was eight. Then I puked it up all over my mom."

She gasped, "You didn't!"

"I did."

"Oh my word. How about you try it again?"

Damon leaned back when she brought a piece of pineapple pizza near his face. "Oh no." He pointed disgustingly to the pizza, "That is not coming near me at all."

Raelyn dangled it in front of his mouth. "You know you want it." She teased.

He shoved her away, "No I don't."

Raelyn laughed, "More for me." She settled back into her spot on the floor. How it was comfortable for her, he didn't know.

"Why do you sit on the floor?"

"It gives me a different perspective. Like I said once, think outside the box. When you are always looking at things from the same perspective you could miss something."

Damon understood. "Good point."

"Thanks." She turned her head slightly and her hair fell, covering half her face. Ever since seeing the scar on the right side of her face, he noticed the little things she did to cover it up. Her hair was never pulled back on that side, it always covered her scar. She would often sit angled where people couldn't see it, even if they tried to. And if her face ever rested in her hands, her fingers covered the scar. Or her fist. But even if he tried to find the scar it was hard with all her little movements that covered it up. Not to mention her use of makeup. He supposed she did little things to cover it up because her tan skin made the scar stick out more. They had become solid friends over the past two months, yet she never brought it up, so he never brought it up.

"Is Jake in here?" Gary popped in.

"No, he's not." Raelyn told him. She gestured to the pizza box, "There's pizza. Pineapple or all-meat."

Gary scrunched up his nose, "No thanks." He left.

Damon looked back at Raelyn, who had taken out her notes again. "Raelyn, take a break."

She looked up. "I'm fine."

He shook his head, smiling. "Yeah, but with all the work you've done recently, you're going to explode. I've been told you've been here on weekends too."

Raelyn shrugged, "Nothing else to do."

"Oh come on. I'm good company." He would be a liar if he said that he hadn't told her to stop working just so he could learn more about her. He was interested.

~~~~~

Raelyn sighed and put her notes away. "Okay. I won't work. So what am I supposed to do?"

Damon grinned, "Tell me about yourself."

She didn't want to. "There's not much to tell."

"Aw c'mon."