Chapter 3

Two weeks later, Raelyn rolled out of her guest bed in Grandma Jo's home. She had aimed to wrap up the case within a week but here she was, still working.

Today's attire consisted of a casual pair of distressed skinny jeans and a white crew neck sweatshirt. Today everyone was just going to be doing research on the dead men so she wanted to be comfortable. Grandma Jo helped her curl her hair and pin part of it back. "You look gorgeous dear."

"Thanks Grandma Jo."

Grandma Jo kissed her forehead. "I have bingo night at the senior center tonight so if you come home and I'm not here, that's where I'll be."

"Okay."

Grandma Jo disappeared from the bathroom and Raelyn applied her makeup. Before putting on foundation, she traced the scar running from her right ear to her jawbone. Wincing at the memories it brought back, Raelyn quickly applied her makeup and covered it up.

She looked at herself in the mirror. Her natural tan had darkened from her week in Florida and hadn't disappeared. She turned her head to the side to confirm the scar was hidden.

Raelyn appeared in the kitchen to see Grandma Jo singing an old tune. "Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling. From glen to glen and down the mountainside. The summer's gone and all the roses falling. 'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide."

Raelyn smiled. "Grandma Jo, you should sing at the senior center."

Grandma Jo turned, surprised at her unexpected audience, "I don't sing under pressure. Alone is much better."

Raelyn waited for the Pop Tart she put in the toaster to pop. "Whatever you say."

"You're just like your grandma." Grandma Jo smiled. "Have a good day at work Rae."

"Have fun at bingo." Raelyn waved with the Pop Tart in her hand as she left. She slipped into her car and backed out of Grandma Jo's driveway. Grandma Jo wasn't really her grandmother, she was her grandmother's best friend. Raelyn's grandma had passed away of leukemia when Raelyn was five. Since then, Grandma Jo had visited her often and Raelyn took every chance she got to visit her.

She immersed herself in old memories of her and Grandma Jo on her drive to work. Once seated in the workroom she had called home for the past couple weeks, she got to work.

Holly came in a short five minutes later, "Hi Raelyn."

"Hi." Raelyn looked up and gave her a smile but bent down over her work instantly.

Jake and Damon joined them about fifteen minutes later. "Do we work on their schools today?" Jake asked.

Raelyn would've had them work on the schools first, but they were just getting to it today. "Yes. Do middle and high school. We have other people working on elementary and college."

"Yes ma'am." Damon saluted.

Raelyn gave him a small smile. She didn't know what to think of him. The first day he had been rude, but then apologized. Now he was friendly and polite. She wondered what he would do if she discovered something big instead of him. 

"Hey guys?" A tall and lanky homicide detective named Gary popped into their workroom, early that afternoon.

Raelyn and Jake looked up, "What?" they said at the same time.

Gary pointed outside, "They found another body. Two people from each section are asked to come. Ms. Mitchells, you are to be one of the ones from this section."

Raelyn stood up and gathered her new Microsoft Surface Pro and other tools into her bag. It had been her birthday last week and Natalie and Grandma Jo had gone in on it for her. It was proving to be very useful.