Chapter 4

Raelyn ignored Damon during the car ride back to the office. All she had done was discovered something important and here he was getting angry at her for it.

Back in the office Raelyn explained her theory to Holly and Jake. They liked the idea and after she had explained the scenario Payton and Damon had gone through and given her proof, they liked it even more. The lead homicide detective even stopped by to hear it.

"I'll figure out who really owns the house behind dead man number six. And I'll see if their description matches the description of who gave their statement and called it in." Holly volunteered.

"I'll figure out who the man is and what he does for a living." Jake offered.

"I'll find the cop who took the neighbor's statement." Damon hurried out of the workroom.

Raelyn looked down at her notes. She would double-check that what she said was true.

Two hours later, Holly shot her hand into the air, "Yes! Wait, no..."

Jake glanced up from his work, "What?"

Damon looked up from a sketch he was doing of what the cop had said the woman who gave her statement looked like. "Huh?"

"The person who lives in the house behind our dead man is a guy with the name of Will Peters."

"But the person who called the statement in was a woman." Jake countered.

Raelyn's heart beat fast, "Which means that whoever gave our statement has to be connected. If what they said about seeing the hassle from the window is true, they had to have broken into Will's house and watched, which is pointless, or just made it all up."

"Made it all up." Damon confirmed. "Like you said, breaking into his house is pointless. And Will would have reported signs of break-in. Which he didn't."

"So who is the person who called it in?" Jake asked.

Damon held up the sketch he had been working on. "Our cop said she looked like this."

Raelyn was surprised. It was a good sketch. Very detailed. "So they're connected."

"This is insane. Our big break." Holly clapped her hands together.

Damon smiled, "We need to figure out who this is and find them."

"Precisely." Raelyn said.

"Our dead man is a carpenter. He often does classes at the local college in Denver." Jake piped up.

~~~~~

Nothing had turned up on their mystery woman and Damon's fuse was on its last inch. When they had presented the information they found to everyone else, Raelyn got all the praise, as he suspected.

Even a pat on the back from Bobby.

Now it was just them two again in the dark, workroom. Raelyn had files surrounding her and was sitting on the floor looking through them. Damon wasn't leaving until she did to prove how devoted he was to this case.

Two hours and one trip to the cafeteria later Damon was dead tired. And all Raelyn did was sip her coffee while she continued to read files.

"You know, you don't have to stay here until I leave to prove you really care about this case." Raelyn told him, not looking up from her files.

Damon wanted to scream. "Unlike you, ideas and new theories don't come to mind within seconds to me."

"I have more experience than you." She simply stated.