Chapter 32 - "This will be fun, Angry Biker Girl."

Start from the beginning

Courtney followed Max's path towards the quad, but with a decidedly slower pace. Which wasn't because it would be awkward walking next to each other, nope, Courtney didn't do awkward. Okay, she did it on occasion but this day was because you know, slowly recovering ankle and everything.

By the time she arrived at the quad, the tables were packed and voices invaded the air like protester signs. Which if you think about it said a lot about how loudly people were talking because who could ignore a sign with angry letters on it. Maybe that was the wrong vibe, maybe it was more the excited chatter of fans preparing for a concert. Not sure why this train of thought was so long. Were trains even in use anymore?

She needed to sit down and be surrounded by rational human beings right then.

As she approached her normal table, Lynn scooted over and Courtney carefully slipped in beside her and Kimber.

"What are we talking about?" Courtney asked.

"Debating the merits of crunchy cereal vs mushy cereal. Ted is pointing out the end result of sugary milk in defense of mushy cereal."

See, rational human beings.

Before Courtney could input her thoughts on the topic, Aubrey appeared with Nathan in tow.

"Nathan has agreed to join us today. Everyone say hi to Nathan," she said, nudging people aside so they could both sit.

"Hi Nathan!" the group yelled.

Nathan smiled but looked like he'd never had this many people acknowledge him at one moment before and wasn't sure he liked it.

"That's done," Aubrey said. She slapped the table and turned her gaze on Rosa. "Now. Can we please discuss what Rosa pulled in her story."

This instantly brought other side conversations and lunch eating to an abrupt halt. Forget the cereal issue, Aubrey had brought up something more riveting.

"Yes!" Courtney said. "I think it was brilliant."

"No," Aubrey said. "I love you Rosie but seriously? The story was going one way." She gestured forward with her hand. "Then suddenly it completely changes. The two people that we all agreed to hate until the end of time we are now supposed to be okay with? How does that work?"

"I think it made complete sense," Kimber jumped in. "I mean look at all the ways it was actually set up. We should have seen it coming."

"That they turned out to be undercover spies?!" Aubrey asked.

"I liked it!" Courtney said. "Especially the part with the helicopter. I inspired you, didn't I?"

"A little," Rosa said, bumping her shoulder with Courtney's.

"I honestly was surprised," Lynn said. "I did think Xander was a jerk and planned to always hate him." She shrugged. "But if he was doing it because he was undercover, I guess that makes sense."

"No, it doesn't," Aubrey said. "Rosie, come on."

Rosa sighed. "Look, Raymond Chandler once said if he got stuck in a story he had someone walk in with a gun. I got inspired by that and went with it."

"Alisha's entrance was pretty amazing," Kimber said.

"Agreed!"

"Also the way Xander took out those two bad guys. I mean it had my heart racing."

"I feel like he definitely changed him in my eyes."

"Also Alisha knowing how to speak Farsi was cool."