Chapter 007 - 008

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:

Chi Xin had a dream. The images in the dream were unstable and distorted and could only be recognized from general knowledge; this seemed to be a laboratory.

In the cold white, the shrill of an alarm sounded and a bloody red light shrouded the whole scene. Chi Xin didn’t know who she was; one moment she was a scientist wearing a white coat and rushing, the other she was a miserable and groaning experiment subject lying on a bed.

What was this place? Was it the laboratory where Jing Xiubai had been kept?

Her vision shifted suddenly; she was now standing in the middle and a cold male voice came from her mouth: “I warned you, the subject can control minds. I told you to be particularly careful but he escaped. Who was on duty yesterday?”
Someone wearing a white coat replied in a trembling voice: “It… It was me…”

“Bang.”

Chi Xin raised a man’s hand and shot the other person before saying: “We have no need for waste.”
Chi Xin shuddered as she witnessed death yet again. Even in her dreams, she was frightened. She looked at the hand she put down and a small snake ring flashed in the dazzling light on a slender little finger; the head of the snake was connected to its tail, as if it was eating itself.

The dream changed again and a pair of cold eyes emerged from the darkness, staring at her with a deadly gaze. Pale hands stretched out, about to grab her…

Chi Xin opened her eyes suddenly. She sat up on her bed, trying to grasp for air, and looked at the clock next to her: 1:30 in the morning. What was the place in her dream, who was talking, and who had escaped? Those were not scenes from the movie and Chi Xin’s mind was disturbed. She got up and went to the table before looking at a piece of paper she had written on.

This was the third day since she had come to the world of this doomsday movie. She checked her trouble value and wasn’t surprised to see it had been deducted once more; she had now some pitiful 62 points and was on the verge of being controlled by the system again.

These past three days, she had ignored anyone who had come knocking on her door and forced herself to do two things, only relying on the food she had stocked in the room.

The first thing had been to carefully recall the plot of the movie and list the several major events where she might die, and think about countermeasures. After all, in the movie, the original Chi Xin had left Base L with the hero and his companions and participated in the rest of the adventures.

The second thing had been to force herself to remember all the details of her first battle. The endless tide of corpses, the exploding heads, the brain fluids, all the blood… For three days, Chi Xin suppressed her fear and conjured those images over and over again. How would she be able to survive in such a dangerous world in the future if she was afraid of zombies? So she had forced herself to face it.

The effect was obvious; she would turn pale and shiver under her blanket at first but now she just felt a little uncomfortable. Her desensitization mission was successful. Three days had passed and the trouble value was about to fall below the pass line; it was time to go out to earn some points.

In the morning, Chi Xin rummaged through the bunch of fancy clothes in the space and finally picked some that could be worn. The weather at the end of the world no longer had any logic and right now, the temperatures were similar to the scorching heat of July. Chi Xin put on a sports bra and denim ultra-shorts, showing her long and toned legs, before looking around and finding a large white shirt to use as a cover.

She only had one bag of biscuits left in her food supplies; she didn’t really want to eat it and went out, straight to the canteen of the base.

Nowadays, the survival mechanism of the base was similar to one big shared pot. Every day, a small team would go out to collect food. They could keep for themselves part of their findings and the rest was arranged for common meals and daily necessities for the rest of the survivors.