CURIOUS

I laid my head on his chest and smiled

I laid my head on his chest and smiled. It was nice that we got to spend some well-needed alone time together. I didn't realize how busy we both have been. That also included having Alonzo, it was a lot of work. He finally started sleeping the whole night and I was happy. But he didn't want to sleep in his bed, which was hard for Satoni and I. He slept right in the middle of us, so we don't get to cuddle. It was nice being like this with him, without having to get up every second for the baby. I closed my eyes and smiled when he kissed the top of my head. The one thing that I always wanted to talk to him about was his family. He had Mateo and Giovanni, but I wondered if he ever got lonely. We never talked about his father or his mother, and I wanted to know.

"What's on your mind?"

I sighed; he always knew when something was bothering me. "I...don't you ever wonder about your mother?"

"No, she hasn't crossed my mind."

"But why?" I frowned.

"Because she was never in my life, so why should I care? She never tried to find me, so why should I look for her? Besides, my father was enough."

It was sad to hear that he didn't want to know more about his mother. "Was that something that your father told you. I mean, how do you really know her side of the story?"

He shrugged and sat up, "I don't care to know her side."

I stared at his back and bit my bottom lip. "Well, tell me about your father. What was he like? Do you miss him?"

"He was a good father to me; I have no complaints." He looked over his shoulder at me, "why are you asking me all these questions?"

"I wonder if you ever get lonely. You are so closed up about your family and your childhood. I just wanted to know," I whispered clutching the blanket closer to my chest. "Besides, we shouldn't have any secrets from each other. If you asked me questions about my childhood, I would tell you. I know that it can be hard to talk about, but it helps me get to know you. Think about it this way too. What if you have different things about yourself that you get from your mother? You would never know if you didn't look for her. Do you even know what she looks like?"

"No, and I don't want to. I look like my father and I act like him too."

"You're stubborn," I mumbled.

He leaned down and kissed me, "I don't like to live in the past. I have you and Alonzo and you are keeping me happy. My father will always be my father, and I love him. My mother doesn't exist in my life, and I don't want to think about her."

I smiled weakly, "okay. Let's go to sleep, I'm tired."

He laughed, "I'm not done with you yet. We still have the night to enjoy ourselves without our son."

"If you don't stop, I'll get pregnant."

He raised an eyebrow, "no you won't. You're on the pill, you will be fine."