Sleeping together

Both remained silent on the cab ride home. They went up to their respective rooms when they got back. Tang Yao changed out of the blue and white uniform into comfortable sweats and an old university T-shirt. She pulled her hair up in a bun and washed her face. She received a text from her cousin Ming ge [cousin, Take care of yourself and please make sure our captain takes his medicine. ]

Tang Yao [ He's not a child. I already told him to take the medicine yesterday]

Ming-ge [If you don't urge him he's not going to take it. Please  cousin... :) ]

Tang Yao [ Fine.]

She went downstairs and grabbed the cold medicine from the box. Deciding some sweet tea would help both of them, she put on the hot water kettle and made some sweet tea. Balancing two cups and the medicine in her hands, she went upstairs and opened Lao K's door. He was lying on the bed.

Tang Yao -" Captain, I have brought some tea and medicine. Get up"

Lao K " Go away, I want to die"

Tang Yao - " You can, but not so soon. Who will rein Lao Yue then? Come on up, get up" she said putting the tea on the nightstand next to him.

Realizing she wasn't going to go away, he sat up.

Lao K- " I don't want to take the medicine and tea is cooling"

Tang Yao -"  Lao K , do you know how painful period cramps are? They say it is equivalent to walking around with a heart attack. It is like someone is punching me from the inside. So even if Godzilla invades the earth, I will kick it to a curb when I'm going through this. Now shut up , drink your tea and take the medicine"

Without another word, he took his medicine and found the tea surprisingly soothing. He saw her sipping her tea leaning on the bed post. She looked exhausted.

Tang Yao-  " What do you feel like eating? Japanese? Korean?"

Lao K - " Do you seriously have an appetite now?"

Tang Yao - " I can't eat anything other than brown sugar porridge without throwing up. I am going to order something for you.  You can't take medicines on an empty stomach"

Lao K- " Actually, I'd like some porridge too. Please order that for me"

Tang Yao browsed through the apps and didn't find any place that sold good porridge. " Sigh, I can't find a good place. I'll make some myself, there's rice and sugar in the pantry. I'll wake you when it's ready . Rest" and she left.

Tang Yao came to the kitchen, poured some rice into the rice cooker vessel when a particularly painful cramp hit her. She dropped to the ground clutching her stomach. Her eyes involuntarily watered. She felt a sturdy, but overly warm pair of hands pick her up from the behind. Lao K carried her to the sofa nearby and sat her down.

Tang Yao -" I thought you were sleeping"

Lao K - " When Godzilla invades, women should rest. Don't you know how to make a hot water bag? I'll get you one,sit down"

Seeing her questioning gaze, he added " We have some hot water bags here from the wrist therapy that Ming-ge was doing last year" . He poured the hot water left over in the kettle into the bad and placed it on her tummy. He went back to washing the rice when he noticed her staring at him.

Lao K - " What?"

Tang Yao- " Whoever taught you how to take care of a girl when she has her period was very good."

He placed the rice in the cooker with water, turned it on and responded, " you can tell my dad that. I have seen my dad take care of my mom on certain days. When he wasn't around, he'd ask me to do some things for her . He wouldn't even let our staff near her. When I got older, I realized why. I have seen her clutching hot water bags as well. Anyway, text when the cooker is done. I'll lie down till then"

He went back to his room. When the porridge was done, Tang Yao dragged herself to the kitchen, poured it into two bowls, added some sugar to it. She grabbed the hot water bag, the bowls, a couple of spoons, and took it up to Lao K's room. They ate the porridge in silence and Tang Yao noticed he was shivering.

" Your fever is getting worse. I'll get a wet cloth for your forehead. Lie down"

" Shortie, you aren't feeling great either. Just go and lie down. You don't need to do anything"

" Will you shut up and listen for once? Just, lie down. "

She went to his bathroom, grabbed a plastic bowl, some cool water and a hand towel. She dipped the towel in water and placed it on his forehead. He drifted off to sleep wondering when was the last time someone took care of him like this. As the older kid in the family, he was used to taking care of everyone- his little brother , his mom and even his dad relied on him. This was a first. Even they didn't dare to tell him to shut up and listen to them.