27: Hey-ho, let's go!

"Honestly, I'm just real glad most of us came out of it unscathed," Kaminari confided in you as he licked the sprinkles off of his coconut ice cream cone. You were partial to vanilla though, but you didn't mind that tasty coco. 

You and Denki had gone to an ice cream parlor before school. Now you guys were sitting at one of the outside tables under a tree, a cool breeze blowing past you and ruffling the collar of Bakugo's button-up, which he had let you wear. 

"Same," You agreed. 

"So, where have you been the last couple days? Haven't seen ya," He said conversationally as he stuffed a huge chunk of the coconut cream into his mouth. He gulped it down and then emitted a burp as loud as a shotgun blast. It was so loud it actually made you jump on the bench as a cold sensation paired with the smell of ice cream wafted into your face.

"I've been staying with Bakugo."

"Oh? Nice." But there was a knowing look in his eye you didn't really like.

"School starts today. Thank gosh, you know? I need socialization!" He continued.

"Don't you have friends outside of school?"
He cocked an eyebrow. "Don't you?"

"Fair game," You said amiably enough as you lapped at your ice cream cone. 

"How are things with Bakubro? Had any... fun times?" He wriggled his brows and smirked. You kicked his foot, "You pervert!"

"But seriously," he resumed, "are you guys.. ya know.... Datin'?" His tongue poked out from between his lips to lick up a stripe of ice cream painted on his chin.

You didn't know what to say to that. You guys hadn't really talked about if you should let anyone know if you two were together. So as a compromise, you scratched the back of your head sheepishly and nodded. If this was the wrong thing to do, well, later you could just tell him it had been a prank.

"Oh really? I'm so happy for you!" But something in his face went cold. It wasn't jealousy or anything close to it. It was...

Longing.

He wanted to be happy.

Of course, he was happy you were happy, he just wished that....

That he could feel and have the same thing. Joy. Not with Bakubro or you, but...

But with a certain carrot-haired boy by the name of Eijiro Kirishima. 

"Everything all right? You went a bit woozy there, Kami," you noticed as you finished up your ice cream cone before setting it down on the table and leaning forwards into his personal space, your head cocked and eyebrows lowered in confusion and concern for your buddy.

"Oh yeah! Yeah, I'm just fine, don't worry about me!" He laughed freely, closing his eyes and flashing a grin at you. You grinned back and went to throw out your ice cream cone. As you walked across the grass, your back turned to him, the smile faded from your lips as you felt a strong, sweeping worry for your best friend. Something was definitely wrong. What could you do to help?

"So," You said as you went back to the table. "Should we get going?"

"Oh yeah! Yeah," he responded as he stood up and tossed his ice cream cone over his shoulder. "Let's hit the road."

You two walked in mutual silence down the sidewalk, your hands shoved deep into your pockets- above the wrists- as you strolled, kicking pebbles out of your way.

Suddenly he shattered the glassy silence. "Y/n," He began. "Can I tell you something? And I don't want you to do anything about it, I just want you to listen, alright?"