Chapter Fourteen

Alex's POV

"You want to go clubbing? You?" I made sure I heard her correctly.

"Do I really need to repeat myself, Alex?" Kai spoke in annoyance through the phone.

I watched as people walked by in the start of the night, I leaned against the wall of my building and took a drag of my cigarette. "Kinda, you haven't gone clubbing ever since before you got married. So forgive me if this is surprising to hear."

"Well I want to now, so are you in or not?"

I took one last drag of the cigarette before putting it out—exhaling the smoke. "Yeah, why not, out of town or local?"

"I was thinking local, I don't feel like getting on a plane tonight. Pick you up or meet there?" Kai asked.

"Meet you there, I'm still at the office." I glanced up to the tall building I was leaned against.

I heard some shuffling at the other side of the phone before getting a reply out of Kai, "Okay, see you then." I didn't even get time to reply as she abruptly hung up.

Shaking my head I stared at the screen of my phone, I checked my texts and as I scrolled down came across April's chat. We haven't spoken with each other in almost two weeks, ever since I got kicked out of her house the morning after—not saying I didn't deserve for her to do that but... not saying it didn't piss the hell out of me either.

Do you want to be with me?

God I wish I could have said yes... I wanted to say yes, but I couldn't— I don't know why the words just wouldn't come out, and now... now I truly fucked up whatever we had.

I wanted to call her, but to say what exactly? Hey, April? Yes is me, I still don't want you, but I wanted to call you and see how you are doing.

It's such a fucking joke.

Usually I wouldn't give a shit about other girl's feelings, I have been through this kind of situation before—we fuck more than once and eventually they catch feelings, sometimes I end it right there and keep going with my life, others, I ignore their feelings because of how much I enjoy hooking up with them. Do I 'play' them by doing that? Maybe, but I really didn't care back then— not that I do now.

Except when it comes to April, I don't want to hurt her—which I have knowingly failed to do so... and that's why keeping my distance from her is for the best from now on. I can't give her what she wants and I don't want to play her, not her.

I wondered for a moment if I should go back inside or just go home once and for all — deciding that I did not want to socialize with the people at the office anymore for the day, I went to the parking lot to get my car and headed home.

"Fuck." I said as I downed my third shot of vodka in a row.

"Go easy, don't want to get wasted before you are able to get laid." Kai said, eyeing the drinks at the table. I grabbed another one and gave it it to her.

"Come on KaiKai, you haven't drank anything, are you really gonna leave me alone in this? It was you after all who wanted to go out tonight." I raised my own shot and put it out towards her's, "Cheers?"

Kai exhaled in defeat and clinked her shot glass against mine before downing it. She surprised me by calling up a waitress, "Can you bring us another round of these?"

The blonde waitress nodded, "Of course," she leaned to grab the glasses and put them on her tray.

"Thanks love." Kai smiled politely at the waitress as we watched her go.