Chapter Eleven

April's POV

Is kind of saddening to be stuck alone at home on a Friday night once again. I glanced to the purring kitten by my side and scratched his head.

Well maybe not really alone.

I should consider becoming a full time cat mom. Just bring a bunch of cats to my apartment, give them a love and a home while simultaneously trying to fill my loneliness. Yes, it sounds like a plan—a kind of depressing one, but a plan nonetheless.

The sound of my phone ringing broke me off from my adoption plans—when looking at the ID caller I could only smile. "Kai, my sweet sister in-law! What can I do for you this evening?"

"April hey, how are you?"

"I'm good, just in the middle of thinking about turning my house into a cat refugee." I explained while I changed through the channels for something to entertain myself with. I think I'll just check out Netflix instead, there must be something in there that I'm yet to binge watch.

"Oh that sounds amazing, let me know if you do it—I know this guy who owns a cat food factory, I could arrange something for your little friends." Kai said over the phone.

I stopped changing the channels and put the remote by my side. "You just seem to get more and more amazing as I get to know you Malakai."

"I'm sorry, it's a curse and a blessing. But I'm afraid I'm not kitten's savior level of cool, that's just a whole other level." She joked causing me to laugh.

"How have you been?" I asked back.

"I can confidently say that good—started working on the company here and there... feels a bit weird still, but I'll be fine."

I hummed, "Yeah, so I've heard that you have." I recalled my conversation with Iliana some days ago.

"Oh someone has been talking about me... wonder who it was." Kai faked to wonder.

I giggled a little, "My lips are sealed."

"That's a shame." Kai sighed a bit over dramatically.

I got out of my bedroom in search of something to eat. "So, did you just call to ask about my day or was there anything else you needed?" I questioned as I inspected my fridge.

Damn I really need to go shopping.

"Hmm both."

"Well go ahead and tell me." I closed the fridge, coming empty handed and with my mind made on buying take out instead. I'll go to the grocery store tomorrow.

"Do you happen to maybe... know Iliana's favorite food?" Kai asked.

I sat at the couch and grabbed the iPad from the table so I could start looking for my dinner. "Iliana's favorite food? Can I know why? You are not planning on poisoning her, are you?"

"What? God no, April. I'm just trying to make something nice for her. So could you please tell me?"

"Just making sure... to answer your question, Iliana doesn't have an specific favorite food—she believes restraining yourself to one type of food because of favoritism is ridiculous when there's such a wide variety around the world." Iliana always explains that in such an articulated way when in reality she's the pickiest eater to exist, added with the fact that she's vegan.

It's not easy to go out to eat with her.

"Oh well that doesn't help my case much..." Kai mumbled disappointingly.

"However, there is this vegan pasta that she found on tiktok a while ago that she's been obsessed with. I can send you the recipe video if you want."

"Iliana watches tiktok? And yes please I would really appreciate it." I heard some ruffling on the other side of the call, then the sound of a glass shattering followed by Kai quietly cursing was heard.