Chapter 30

James didn't make me answer, but he did make me call Bryce. He texted to forewarn him that I had been out at a party and gotten injured. Thankfully, he didn't tell Bryce how I had gotten injured.

I held my phone to my ear tentatively as it rang and waited for the screaming to start. Instead, I heard "Adeline? Are you okay?"

 I nearly lost it at his sympathetic tone but controlled myself.

"I'm okay Bryce. I'm so sorry I snuck out. I was mad about everything, and I just took off to make you mad," I confessed.

"I don't care about that," he dismissed. "James said you got hurt. Are you okay?"

"Oh... yeah, I'm okay! I just fell and my head's a little bruised."

"Is it a concussion? Tell James to take you to the hospital right now!" Bryce's voice boomed. I looked up at James and we both tried not to laugh. He held out his hand and I handed the phone to him.

"B, she's gonna be okay. Can you watch her tonight and tomorrow just to make sure her head doesn't get any worse? She's not experiencing side effects or anything. I can drop her back home after I get some food in her."

The line went quiet for a second.

"I...I have a huge presentation at work tomorrow, I don't know if I can get out of it. I can call in sick or something and reschedule..." Bryce rambled, mumbling different ideas.

James gave me a look that I couldn't read. I clenched my legs together and tugged on the bottom of his shirt. I didn't want him to worry.

"I'll watch her," James announced, stunning both of us.

"What?"

"I'll take work off tomorrow. Can you call Adeline in sick to the school? I'll make sure she's feeling okay and if she isn't, I'll take her to the doctor."

"You don't have to do that," I mouthed, shaking my head. He turned away and ignored me, telling Bryce that it was no problem.

He ended the call shortly after that, with a face that didn't leave room for disagreement. I humbly stayed quiet, unsure how to express my gratitude. He plopped down on the sofa with a playful grin and carefree nature that I hadn't seen in a while.

"Want to watch a movie?" he asked, shrugging. After our conversation and my admittance, we could really use a distraction.

"I would love to," I enthused. He pointed in the direction of a cabinet, and I followed his lead, opening the doors and then letting out a laugh.

"What?" he asked defensively.

"I didn't know people had cabinets full of DVD's anymore is all," I giggled, ignoring the throbbing in my head. I chose one and inserted it into the DVD player before plopping down beside him.

"Are you calling me old?" he demanded, with a dramatic hand over his heart. His expression showed no signs of humor, but I knew he was teasing.

"Maybe," I said nonchalantly, grabbing the remote from the coffee table and turning on the TV.

I squealed in surprise as I felt him lunge forward and his fingers dig gently into my sides. I shook with laughter and tried to squirm away as he tickled me relentlessly, laughing nearly as hard as I did.

"Mercy!" I cried out, sighing in relief when the attack faded. He leaned back in his seat and propped his arm up on the arm rest. His smile was mischievous and blatantly ignored the faux anger on my face.

"How dare you attack an injured person," I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I really didn't think that would still work on you," he said, smiling slightly.

"It barely did," I argued, before curling up as he came at me again. Before his hands reached my sides, he pulled back, raising an eyebrow as if to prove his point.

"Okay maybe it did a little," I admitted, making him cheer. 

"Why are you being like this?" I asked him softly, dying of curiosity. I was fearful that he would revert to strict Mr. Mason, but he retained his playful disposition.

"I'm not your teacher right now, Addy. I'm yourfriend. Or your brother's friend, at least," he said, scratching his chin withone finger.

"You're my friend too," I argued before biting my lip. I sounded petty and childish, but I meant it.

"I suppose you're right," he admitted, shooting me a wink that filled my stomach with butterflies.

"Do you want to watch your movie now? You have to stay awake during it," he threatened, pointing his finger at me. I shrunk in on myself a little, nodding.

"I can do it," I assured him in a quiet voice. Ipicked up the remote and started the movie, smiling as it began. He got up andran to flick off the lights before returning to his seat. He sat a couple ofinches closer to me than he had been before. He was closer than arm's length tome, and I swear I could feel the heat radiating off him.

"What movie are we watching?" he whispered.

"Ella Enchanted," I answered, surprised that he had a children's movie in his closet. I had spotted plenty. He groaned and leaned away from me, making the heat snap off as if he had flipped a switch.

"This is a DVD I keep for my niece," he grumbled.

"Have you seen it before?" I asked him.

"No," he admitted.

"Then shut up and watch. You'll like it," I said sternly, eyes glued to the screen as the narrator started to speak. I grabbed a blanket that was laying on the back of the couch and threw it over my legs, curling them up beneath me.

"Are you in charge now?" he asked, mocking me. 

I shrugged and he looked at me, making an intimidating face. He and Bryce had the same strict expression that could stop me from acting out despite my best intentions.

"Fine. No," I agreed. "But you will like it."

"Alright, I'll watch. But you better share the blanket," he said, scooting closer so he could throw his legs under too. We weren't touching by any means, but my stomach flipped at the lack of distance. He didn't know what he was doing to me.