Chapter 9

(triggering)

My phone chimed its annoying song, announcing that it was time to wake up again for school. I pulled myself reluctantly from my pink comforter and walked to the bathroom, brushing my teeth, and going to the bathroom. My hair was straight enough from yesterday that I left the straightener beneath the sink, opting instead to brush my hair up into a high ponytail, complete with a blue ribbon that matched my blue dress. I made it more casual with a black zip-up jacket placed over it and my usual vans, before throwing my backpack over my shoulder.

"BRYCE!" I shouted as I walked down the steps. "TIME TO GO!"

He greeted me at the kitchen counter with a mug of coffee in hand, smiling at me condescendingly.

"Way ahead of you, little sister," he said, grabbing his work bag and pouring the last sip of his coffee down the sink.

"Can I have a cup?" I asked, eyeing the black pot longingly.

"No." He grabbed my shoulders and marched me towards the door, shoving me out and ignoring my protests.

"You know, you're very mean," I said, as he bumped past me to get to the car.

"I just care about you so much it hurts me. So I have to hurt you," he said, driving me to school with a smile that said he liked his joke way too much. He dropped me at the front of the school playing "Candyshop" and I sprinted inside, running into Hunter's arms.

I knew something was wrong before he said a word. He stood silently against my locker while I grabbed my things and complained about Bryce and then followed stiffly behind me as I walked to my study spot. I sat in the grass, and he leaned against my tree, face still stony.

"Are you okay?" I asked him, trying to make my voice sound gentle.

"Do you think I'm okay?" he asked, hands clenched into fists. I froze like a deer caught in headlights and thought through my response.

"I'm sorry if I did something wrong," I said carefully. "I didn't mean to-"

He leaned down and grabbed my face with his hand, scraping my cheeks against the bone beneath. My breathing quickened and I closed my eyes, trying not to see the side of Hunter that scared me.

"Look at me!" He hissed, shaking my head with his anger. I counted down from ten slowly and took deep breaths, opening my eyes to look at him.

"You didn't answer me all night," he explained. "I called and texted and you ignored it. What were you doing?"

"I was with Bry-" I started to explain, but he cut me off with another shake of my skull.

"You were with Bryce?" he asked in a mocking voice, making shame flush hotly through me. I nodded.

"If I find out you were with another guy, I will not be happy. You hear me?" he asked, dropping his hand from my face to wrap around my throat. He didn't squeeze, but he held it there, making me quiver with fear. I resisted the urge to throw my hands up and try to rip his hand away, knowing it would only make him angrier. 

"I promise, Hunter. You know I wouldn't leave you," I said, shaking my head and looking into his eyes reassuringly. His fingers began pressing into my neck incrementally before suddenly releasing and falling to his side.

"I know, angel. I know," he said, dropping to his knees and wrapping his arms around my body. I dropped my head against him and let out a deep breath, trying to release the adrenaline without crying. Tears sprung to my eyes, but I held them back, afraid that he might see. He pulled back and noticed, making his eyes water as well.

"I believe you, Adeline. I know you're not going anywhere," he assured me, pressing a kiss to my lips.

I kissed him back softly, wondering how even his sweet words sounded like a threat.

He got up and walked away from me without another word, heading to his group of friends like nothing had changed. And of course, nothing had. I shuffled in my bag and grabbed my phone before opening the front-facing camera to check that there were no noticeable marks. My cheeks looked flushed as if I really had walk to school, but my neck seemed to be okay. I pushed my emergency concealer back into my bag, grateful that it hadn't gone worse.