Chapter 28

Just as I had so many years before, I sat on the curb and waited for him to come. A cloud cover hid the stars from view and painted the night grey and eerie. A soft drizzle fell and sprinkled my leather jacket in raindrops as I anticipated the questions I might receive from James. I didn't have the right answer. I didn't have one that could make me seem strong and capable like the girl he believed me to be.

 As the rain began drizzling hard, a black car that I didn't recognize pulled up to the curb in front of me. The tinted passenger window whirred as it slid down.

"Addy?" James asked, leaning over to check that it was me.

"Yep," I said, getting to my feet slowly. The tears had dried by now and would be concealed by the rain, although my streaking makeup made me look like a wreck. The dim orange-tinted streetlights hit it in such a way that I hoped he couldn't tell.

"Can I have a ride?" I asked. My voice cracked and the car door unlocked immediately.

"Of course," he said as I climbed in. The concern that painted his features was uncertain. He knew he had to worry but he didn't know what he was worried about yet.

"To your house?" he asked, already driving in that direction. I cringed at the thought of owning up to Bryce about my deceit while feeling like this.

 "Can we go somewhere else?" I asked anxiously. His concern grew.

"It's past midnight sweetheart," he said, using my old favorite nickname. "There's not many places we can go."

"O-okay," I said. My breathing grew shallow as I tried to suppress the urge to cry and have a panic attack. I could still picture Hunter aiming his fist for me. I kept my cold hand against the damaged part of my face as if it was helping.

 James grew serious and began driving in a new direction. We flew past houses I'd never seen before, and both stayed quiet. I trusted him.

As he focused on the slick streets and the windshield wipers waved, I watched him from the side, unable to avoid it. The green traffic lights outlined his side profile, emphasizing his sharp nose and jaw. Even the curve of the muscle in his arm was outlined as he turned us right and left. Eventually, we pulled into an unfamiliar parking lot.

"Where are we?" I asked softly.

"My apartment," he said, climbing out of the vehicle and waiting for me to follow. The rain was pouring by now and soaked through my thin tank top and skirt, splattering my jacket and James' red Henley shirt. I tried to ignore the way this emphasized his muscles more, sticking to all the spots that I wanted to see more of. I tried to keep from staring as I followed him up a concrete staircase to the third floor.

"Am I allowed to come in here?" I asked quietly as he pulled out a brass key and pushed it into the door. "As your student, I mean?"

"No," he said, shooting me a lopsided smile as he pushed the door open for me. "How about we say I left the door open, and you broke in?"

I giggled and his face softened with relief.

"Get inside," he commanded with a small nod of his head. I scurried past him and into the building, following instructions.

I reached blindly in the dark and scraped my hand against the wall, searching for a light switch. When I found the panel, I clicked all the switches, filling the apartment with light.

The building appeared modern and sleek from the outside, but the interior of James' apartment was homey and comforting. It was shades of browns, greens, and reds, reminding me of a trip my family had taken to the redwoods one time. A large brown leather couch sat in the middle of the room and beckoned me forward.

He closed the door behind us and although the house was silent, it felt full in a pleasant way. The rain hit the roof in gentle taps like fingers against silent piano keys and I turned to look at him. Water dripped down my hair to the floor.

He came over to stand beside me and let his keys clatter on the granite countertop in the kitchen. He gave me a reassuring smile and then chuckled at my frown.

"What's wrong?" he asked like a superhero, ready to fix it.

"I didn't know that I'd be coming here, or about the rain," I said, motioning down to my drenched clothing. He glimpsed down and I felt his eyes linger a little longer than necessary, triggering a blush.

"It's okay," he said in response. "I'll find something for you to wear. Make yourself at home."

He walked down a hallway we had passed when we came in, flicking on lights as he went. I shyly walked around the room, looking over framed pictures he had of his family and experiences from college. A small silver frame that was tucked in the back sparkled in the lights and caught my attention. I picked it up carefully and a smile lit my face. A photograph of Bryce, James, and I playing in James' backyard was nestled into the frame beside a photo of Bryce and James when they started high school.

By the time I sat down on the couch and got comfortable, James was back. He held up a large blue shirt and black Nike shorts that looked at least double my size, but I accepted them gratefully.

"Thank James. You can be nice for someone so bossy," I said, teasing him. He could use some lightening up right now. I couldn't begin to guess what was flooding through his head as he guessed what had happened to me.

He scoffed.

"You can change in the bathroom by the front door but come right back quickly."

I gave a mock salute. "Yes sir. Any other orders while I'm away from your supervising gaze?"

"Yeah," he said, answering my question as if it was serious. "Don't lie to me while you're here. If you want to be alone, tell me. If you need me by your side, tell me."

My eyes dropped to the floor immediately. I didn't think I had the strength to lift them back up. I took in a breath discretely and tried to make my face blank.

"Yes sir," I repeated genuinely.

"No, Addy. Not 'yes sir'. I'm asking you as a friend."

My heart began to race, and I could no longer handle the intensity of his honesty. His brown eyes were unwavering and held mine with a ferocity and protectiveness that only James possessed. I broke his stare and cracked a microscopic smile.

"Okay James," I said uncertainly.

He nodded and turned around, sitting on the couch, and turning on the TV. I went down the hall and into the bathroom without a backwards glance.