"Because your lasagne is yummy?" I scoffed rolling my eyes but pick up the necessary for it and Shane grinned. "Thanks."

"Alright, but then you're doing something worthy the next day." He began nodding, reaching out for another pack of pre-cooked meal, but I halted him: "Something you put effort in the doing."

"But I can't cook. You know that."

"Then learn."

He huffed and followed me. With Shane it was always the same. If he could skip doing chores, he would. And the thing was that he was actually quite good when he did take the time to cook something.

"Why are you even complaining?" he whined dragging his feet like a bored kid while I picked everything. "It's not like you'll be there tomorrow night."

I blushed. "Shane."

"What?" he mimicked my tone, unimpressed. "It's not like I'm wrong."

"It's not like it's your business either. You brought people home all the time. Why is it such a big deal I stay out sometimes?"

"Whatever, Hailey. You don't have to give me explanations."

"Then why does it sound like you want one?"

He glared at me and stepped forward, entering the next corridor to our left and leaving me to trail after. I took in a deep sigh and followed him, passing a family with two toddlers picking up cookies and reaching Shane as he stopped before the cereal shelves. He was frowning, but I knew he was just trying to focus on the choice at hand to avoid further digging on it.

As if I was going to let it go that easily.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I tried softly now, and his frown deepened but then he finally picked one box, turning to me with a smile. A fake smile.

"What is there to talk about?"

My brows knitted together as he dropped it in the cart and took it from me, pushing it forward and leaving me behind. I strode after him.

"Shane."

"Mhm."

"Are you upset I'm staying out or about who I'm staying out with?"

"I'm not upset."

"You are too."

"And even if I was, you wouldn't hear me out."

"Well, I am." I halted before him and forcing him to do the same, but he keep his gaze on the shelves on our side, as if he was looking at what to buy next and not purposely avoiding this conversation. My heart panged. "I know you don't like Nate, but I'd forgiven him."

"Mhm."

"You're not being fair."

His glare snapped at me this time and I almost stepped back but held it instead. "Fair?"

"It's my life."

"Our life." he corrected in that spiteful tone that cut me deep within. "He came by the other day."

"He..." but my voice faded at whatever I was about to say as his words sink in, leaving me confused. "He what?"

"Nate came." he spat dropping the open chip bag on the cart and rested his elbows over the handlebar, leaning closer. "To the flat."

"When?"

"The other day. Last Wednesday. I was by myself and you were working or something."

Last Wednesday? That was before we make nice. Before we agreed to try and be friends. Nate had been in our apartment?