5.

Song: Can't be tamed - Miley Cyrus

........................................

Hailey

"Could you stop that?" scoffed Stella from her desk across from mine and I looked up in time to see her eye roll. I stopped tapping the pen and instead clenched my fist around it. "Gosh, you've been at it for at least an hour. How about some work?"

What a nerve.

"What do you have?" I sweetly asked instead and saw the way her jaw tensed. "You know, with all your good points and right attitude you must have tons of ideas for next week."

That shut her up. I didn't mean to be rude, but it was unnerving that she was so picky when in the end she barely brought anything redeemable to the table.

"I was just saying." she stiffly turned back to her computer, typing away. "You don't need to be such a jerk about it."

A jerk? Me?

But I bit my lip fiddling nervously with my pen again, repeating in my head over and over again all the possible ways this conversation could go. If any of my prayers were heard, at least he would hear me out this time.

And the perspective of this improvement won't be downed, not even by Stella's weird glances.

Before she could comment something further or make me lose more of my temper, the elevator chipped and it opened, letting Leroy in our floor. He was eying the papers in his hands while walking towards his office down the aisle.

This building was structured hierarchically, the top bosses were on the ninth floor and then it lowered ranks to administrators, advisors, us writers and so lower. So Leroy taking the lift could only mean two things: he went down for a coffee or he had a meeting with the upper floors. Judging by the frown in his eyebrows and how he analyzed his papers even while walking, I was pretty sure he didn't go for a coffee.

Maybe now wasn't the best moment to try-

Enough, I told myself. This is a publishing. Everyone is always busy. Now is as good as any other moment.

I stood and made my way to him, ignoring Stella's eyes and the curious glances I snatched from the other workers as I passed them and stood in the aisle leading to his office. My heartbeat doubling it's pace as he got closer.

Leroy looked up upon getting closer and noticing my presence and as soon as he spotted me he smiled tiredly, closing the binder and nodding his head my way.

"Hailey." He didn't stop, but I hadn't expected him too; instead I walked along. "Do you have another draft for me? Bacause I've told you, last one was almost perfect, just needs some polishing."