SEVENTY SIX

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

The next morning, grey clouds settled into the sky and cast a depressing gloominess all through Hogwarts. Students dragged themselves to the Great Hall for breakfast, rubbing sleep from their eyes and trying to tame their bed head. Compared to them, Remus Lupin seemed to be the beacon of sunlight in the darkness.

It was hard to ignore the smile on his face, and though he tried to hide it behind his newspaper, it was more than obvious to his friends. Remus had never been a morning person, so when he practically jumped out of bed that morning it was mandatory for them to exchange confused glances.

What was even more unusual was the way Genevieve refused to leave her room that morning, insisting the boys leave without her because she was 'brushing her hair' - a blatant lie. The only time Genevieve brushed her hair was before a shower, after a quidditch match or when Lily forced her to. Other than that it was thrown into a braid with little to no other thoughts because of how long and untamed it was.

While eating his scrambled eggs silently, James thought about his two friends and their change in behaviour. A crease had formed in his forehead, and as he looked up at Peter and Sirius he noticed they were just as confused as him. James adjusted his glasses and observed Remus again, making certain of his smile.

"It's weird, isn't it?" whispered Lily, almost startling James. He hadn't even noticed she'd been next to him. Lily grinned and placed a croissant on her plate, realising the surprise she gave him. "Sorry."

"No, no, it's alright," James assured, quickly regaining himself. "Dead weird. Did Genevieve seem off to you this morning?"

"Off? Have you not seen her?" Noticing James's expectant face, Lily couldn't help but smile at his obliviousness. Discreetly, she nodded her head to the hallway outside the Great Hall, making sure not to draw Remus's attention. "Look," she murmured.

James pretended to itch the back of his neck, turning in his seat and squinting his eyes at the entrance. There was someone pacing, walking back and forth with such vigour that it was clear something was on their mind. Upon adjusting his glasses, James realised that the person was Genevieve, rambling to herself and scaring people away from entering the hall.

"Now I could be wrong," Lily began again, "but that doesn't seem like typical Genevieve behaviour. And that -" she nodded to a still smiling Remus "- doesn't seem like typical Remus behaviour. They've switched personalities."

James hummed in agreement, still watching Genevieve pace up and down. She seemed to be getting more frantic by the second, pulling at her hair (not brushed) and shaking her head at her own thoughts. "I'll be right back," James said to Sirius, standing up.