There was a faint doorbell and Leo spoke again. I watched Sophia's eye twinkling as her cheek moved in what I assumed was a grin. "We're having pizza tonight." she informed me. 

"Oh? And what's the big occasion?"

"Mommy said I deserved it. I now know how to lace my shoes."

"Do you?"

"On my own." she nodded proudly and I smiled. She was just so cute.

"That's impressive, Twinkle. You'll have to show me."

"I will!" the phone slipped some more in her hands unfocussing her image and she frowned, but then it was taken from her and I watched Leo take it as she whined in the back.

"I know, sweetie, but I want to talk to him too." he told her and looked back at me.

Leo looked tired, unlacing his tie and smiled at me as I watched aunt Meli behind him, taking Sophia in her arms and whispered something in her ear that made her stopped the tantrum and brushed the crocodile tears. She was such a drama queen, but it was adorable.

"I see you are all handful." I smiled, and Amelia laughed.

"You got no idea." she leaned over his shoulder to smile at me. She had the ginger hair Sophia had inherited and countless freckles all over her nose. "Hey Nate."

"Hi, Meli."

"Looking good. "

"You too." and it was true. She had this glow around her, joyful all the time. Seeing them together, fitting so well was like a slap in the face because it highlighted everything dysfunctional in what I grown up to. I cleared my throat. "I'm going out with some friends tonight."

"Oh, then we won't take you much longer. Have fun!" she blew me a kiss and moved, leaving me with Leo as he too walked to their table -I assumed- where they already got the said pizza.

"Well, take care. And the place looks really good."

"I mean that." I said. "You can come over one day for a change. It won't be nearly as good as Meli's meals but I'll manage."

She laughed in the background and Leo smiled. "We'll talk about that."

"Alright, enjoy your meal."

"Thanks. Bye... Sophie, say goodbye."

"Bye! I love you!"

My heart melted and I smiled. "Love you too."

These calls always left me bittersweet. I missed them. I love being on my own and the freedom it gave me, but I felt like the few months I was with them I discovered what having a family life felt. What was like to have family dinners, and people asking about how was your date... even curfew was sweet.

And it was pathetic things like that were enough to make me feel cared for, for the first time in my life.

I shook those awful thoughts away and get to my bedroom. These past few days I'd been putting everything in order when I got back from work. I needed a couch, and in a month or so I would get a proper TV instead of the small one I had now. But this was starting to look like a proper home at last. A simple one without much decoration, but who cares?

Spoty rubbed against my ankles as I changed my shirt and get ready. Riley would be here in short. Honestly, I needed a break. Ever since Kyle left back to New York I'd been all busy working, adapting to the new place, fixing everything and catching up some sleep... Now I needed a break.