13: Things You Shouldn't Do on Your First Date

Start from the beginning

Before I could ask if he wanted to switch seats for a while, my phone pinged with a new text.

Sammy: i don't even need to ask because you left your glasses behind XD

Me: not everyone likes posting themselves on social media. im ignoring you now

Placing my phone face down, I cleared my throat. "Hey, Adrián, you should sit on this side for a while. The sun is getting--"

"I'm okay," he replied, despite the sheen of sweat plastering his curls onto his forehead.

Okay, again. Maybe Sam was right. No one wants an okay date with the person they like. Okay isn't great.

"Is this how all your dates go? You just... do that?"

Taking the final sip of my beverage, I watched as he looked up once more, face flooding with heat when he realized I was staring. He shook his head slowly, eyes flitting down to the page again. "Um... no."

"No? Because we've been here for 10 minutes and you've been so busy writing you've not even touched your drink. The ice in it has melted now."

Confusion clouded his features as he gazed at the cup, seemingly surprised to find that condensation from the cup had seeped into the tablecloth. "Oh, you're already done with yours? You can have mine too, if you want."

"Will it make you finish faster?"

"Yes," he replied, a small smile tugging up the corners of his lips.

I reached for his drink. Even though it wasn't something I'd order--an iced peach tea, ice now a wet spot on the tablecloth-I took a sip. It was great-not just okay. An upgrade from the latte. Between gulping more and more of Adrián's tea, and watching the other tables occupied by families, lovers who could kiss each other in public without a second thought, I got lost in my thoughts until his movement caught my eye.

Adrián finally shut the notebook, pushing it to the centre of the table, and grabbed what was left of the peach tea. Not that there was a significant amount left.

"I think I'll be drinking that flavour from now on. It's better than the latte," I said.

"I've never had latte before," he told me after swallowing a mouthful.

"Never?"

"Never."

I resorted to tugging on a loose thread from the tablecloth, since Adrián seemed flustered whenever our eyes met. My phone pinged, and I picked it up to let Sam know I was still very much alive and well. But it wasn't her.

Mystery: Open the notebook.

We had exchanged phone numbers in school the morning after we kissed. I had saved his contact that way, as a keepsake of sorts. And damn, was I glad whenever it popped up on my screen.

"Alright." I opened the book, eyes immediately caught by the bold, black ink stark against the white pages.

'I really want to say this to you myself, but finding the right words is harder than I thought. I hope this doesn't take the magic out of asking. '

"Asking?" I looked up at him, and he watched me over the rim of his cup, face turning redder.

"Bottom of the page," Adrián mumbled, chewing on his straw.

I turned back to the notebook. "It says 'Flip to the end.'" I followed the instructions, not at all expecting a sketch awaiting me. A sketch of me. Right there and then. Captured in confident strokes and emphasised lines. With the latte in hand, straw poised between my lips, and eyes that seemed to stare through the book.