Chapter 22 | The Chase

Începe de la început

As I start to snack on my burger and Olivia munches on her hash browns — which I've observed before is her favourite — the Everest pulls out of the drive thru and comes into view.

I sit up straighter as an idea pops into my head.

I set my quarter-eaten burger aside and tap Olivia who is blissfully smiling to herself, no longer tearful. She pulls out of her trance and looks at me blankly.

"Let's swap seats."

"Huh? Why? No..." Her answer comes gradually as she recovers from her wonderland.

I purse me lips sternly before probing, "Don't you want to find out who they are and why they're following us? I have an idea on how to do it and need to drive."

She pauses to think about it. I know she'll agree. Didn't she say she was a PI? Surely the Nancy Drew in her won't be able to resist.

"Okay." She finally agrees.

We swap seats and I place my hands on the wheel and start to pull out of the spot.

"Wait, wait, wait!" Olivia shouts before we drive off. "Do you know how to drive?"

I give her a small smile. "Of course."

"Ouch!" Olivia groans after the umpteenth time of hitting her head on the window.

"You're holding onto the dashboard and door for stability already, why do you keep hitting your head? Unless... you aren't doing that on purpose? Are you?" I glare at her.

"W-what? O-of course not!"

Cue eye roll.

We're in a full speed chase, and by that, I mean we're doing the chasing. Funny right?

After leaving McDonalds, the creeps realized we were following them and sped off. The tables had certainly turned and I was currently keeping a close tail on them.

My driving skills were a bit... ahem... rough at best, but that was because I wasn't used to doing the driving in these situations. However today's case called for it.

We're currently outside the other town, at a place I've never been to. It looks like some run-down settlement, which is ironic as the wealthy Victor Town is only an hour away. You would never expect such a poorly-conditioned, deserted, neighborhood to be so close by.

I see an ally ahead and force our chasers in, as it's all they have left to flee and now it's just us and them parked in a deserted area, like something out of a movie. It's silent for a while.

"What are you gonna do?" Olivia whispers beside me, her very demeanor on edge.

"Wait for them to make a move." I reply.

After a few minutes or so the doors of the Everest open and the two men step out. As expected they're both tall and well-built.

"Stay in here." I unbuckle my seatbelt, preparing to go out.

"Yes, ma'am." Olivia nods obediently before realizing something and her eyes snap back in surprise. "You're going out?! Blair you can't do that!"