Chapter 22 | The Chase

Start from the beginning

"Accident?"

"—And if we survive this but get in trouble with the cops because I stole a file to blackmail someone earlier because I'm actually a PI, it's your fault too!"

I blink twice in surprise, "a private investigator? I should've figured that considering your knack of blackmail..."

Her lips open and shut, not knowing how to respond.

I look ahead and point to the next intersection. "Now take a left here."

Pulling out of awe, she pulls into the new road and so do our pursuers.

"Right."

"The third left."

"Another left."

We pull out of the suburban area, still being followed.

"Take a right and keep going."

We come to another red traffic light.

I check my watch, calculating how much time I have left before the storage place closes down, before looking at our surroundings. "Hmm..."

"Is something wrong?" Olivia asks, biting her lip nervously.

I smile. "No."

Yes.

We're lost... in another town

I swiftly type something into the GPS on my phone and a series of directions pops up. I direct us to a location.

"Now take a left in."

"But—"

"Turn in." I cut her off.

Olivia's expression shows confusion, but she still does as told.

"Now stop and... lower the window please."

"Uh. Okay?" She says, astounded.

"Welcome to McDonalds, may I take your order?" A voice says from the intercom of the McDonalds drivethru.

Olivia's eyes start to water, like she can't decide between laughing or crying. "I can't believe this is actually happening. We're being chased and you pull us into a fast food drive thru."

"A Big Mac, two mcflurries and three hash browns." I order for the two of us, ignoring her.

"Alrighty, come to the window." The person from the intercom says in a cheery voice.

"Come to the window..." Olivia wipes a tear away, "Is this really part of your plan or are you just hungry? Again."

"It's a test of character. Look who's behind us."

She draws to the review mirror and finds a familiar car similarly ordering behind us. Her jaw drops.

"No. Fucking. Way."

Honestly, I'm a bit stunned too because I was genuinely hungry, but it appears I'm not the only one.

We collect our order and park the car on the side, out of view of the drive thru.