( VI )

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃══════ ∘◦ ᓚᘏᗢ ◦∘ ══════

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
══════ ∘◦ ᓚᘏᗢ ◦∘ ══════

"I NOTICED YOU sparred with her harder this time than last time, Eraser. Any particular reason why?" Hizashi pointed his spoon towards his raven-haired best friend like a pretend microphone, continuing the unwanted questioning over a steaming bowl of white rice and curry. The distraction of food wasn't enough to derail his curiosity as Aizawa hoped.

"I wasn't hurting her," Aizawa said defensively after swallowing his small spoonful. He didn't have much of an appetite.

"I know that!" He whined, not getting the answer he was hoping for, "Did it maybe have to do with an external factor?"

"I'm fine, Hizashi," he said a little too softly and quickly to seem anywhere near natural, especially to his longtime friend.

The truth was that he wondered what people were talking about when it came to you and Hawks. He wanted to know the situation, what happened to put you on the news. That was so unlike him, he recognized. Aizawa notoriously didn't give a shit about the gossip, the drama, he rarely even bothered to read headlines like those. He was just curious this time, right?

Not even he could make himself believe that. The curiosity was in truth some kind of childish jealousy formed from his insecurities. You didn't deserve to be on the receiving end of that angst in your spar, he would make it up to you later.

"I believe you, I believe you, but still..." Hizashi's voice trailed off, inviting Aizawa to answer his questions.

"Can I ask you something?" Aizawa mumbled, knowing his friend would hear him anyway.

He nodded. "Shoot."

"Did I go too hard on her the first time?"

"Not any more than you did just now. Why d'ya ask?"

"She lost confidence. From the first time, I mean." He narrowed his eyes as he thought about it deeper, trying to remember every moment and your every move. He admitted, "I didn't hold back enough but she was also hesitating a lot. I could feel it."

"When you were sparring with her?"

"Yeah. I just don't want to be responsible for.. I don't know.. Emotional damage?"

"Relax, Shouta. I'm sure she'll shake it off," he patted him on the back with a couple unrestrained thuds. "She's tough, It's good that you're a challenge to her."