( IX )

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃══════ ∘◦ ᓚᘏᗢ ◦∘ ══════

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
══════ ∘◦ ᓚᘏᗢ ◦∘ ══════

IN THE DIM LIGHTING of your bedroom, you relaxed your head into the pillow and pressed the call button on your phone.

"So you finally called," you could practically hear the raised white brow in her tone. You sighed while a smile played at your gently curved lips.

"It's only been a week, Rumi."

"A week's worth of news you need to catch me up on," she shot back.

"Usually you're busy when I call," you countered. She hummed and thought about that. You weren't wrong, but even if she was in the middle of beating up puny villains, she made an effort to text or even answer the goddamn call. You insisted through held-back laughter every time that she hung up and focused on her mission.

"Valid point. I am willing to let it go if you tell me everything within the next," she paused, looking for a clock to tell her how much longer she was on break. "Twenty minutes?"

"It's late for you to be working."

"Yeah, but crime rates have been up. Don't be all shocked if you start getting called more for emergency work," she warned. You smiled. You couldn't ask for anything better.

You cleared your throat. Obviously, not good about rising crime but who cares.

"So, tell me, kitty cat, how's U.A. been treating you?" Rumi was the only one allowed to call you that without getting met with a face full of claws.

"Good, good," You told her briefly about everyone you met at your new job while fiddling with some yarn. She was glad to hear that you were making more money and getting good opportunities simultaneously.

"Met anybody you like so far?" she asked with a tilt of her head.

"Yeah, yeah, me and Present Mic get along great, everyone's really nice here."

Rumi laughed that warm heroic bark of laughter, a sound larger than you'd expect out of a rabbit hybrid, "Y/n, I think you misheard me. Anybody you like?"

"Not like that," you said firmly. You rolled your eyes dramatically at her juvenile question.

"I wish I could see your face to see if you're lying."

"I'm not!"

"No gossip?" she whined sadly. She had to have known you were holding something back.

"I—" you sighed, "It's not what you're going to think, but I've run into Eraserhead a couple times. We both do night patrol."